Open to: journalists from developing nations between the ages of 25 and 35
Fund: travel, accommodation costs for two months, plus per diem allowance
The Dag Hammarskjöld Scholarship Fund for Journalists is now accepting applications from professional journalists from developing countries for its 2010 fellowship Program. The journalists who are awarded fellowships are given the incomparable opportunity to observe international diplomatic deliberations at the United Nations, to make professional contacts that will serve them for years to come, to interact with seasoned journalists from around the world, and to gain a broader perspective and understanding of matters of global concern. Many past fellows have risen to prominence in their professional and countries. The program is not intended to provide basic skills training to journalists, as all participants are media professionals.
The Dag Hammarskjöld Journalism Fellowship is open to individuals who:
* Are native of one of the developing countries of Africa, Asia, South America or the Caribbean.
* Currently live in and write for a publication in a developing country.
* Are between the ages of 25 and 35.
* Have a good to excellent command of the English language since press conferences and many documents are in English only.
* Are currently employed full-time as professional journalists for bona fide print, television, radio or internet media organizations.
The fellowships will begin in mid-September and extend to late November and will include the cost of travel and accommodations in New York, as well as a per diem allowance.
All interested applicants need to submit completed and signed application form and following documents:
1. Copies of representative selections of work produced in 2009 or 2010
2. An originally signed letter from a person of good standing in the community or profession who can testify the applicant’s character
3. Originally signed letters from two individuals who supervised the applicant
4. Endorsement of the Fellowship application from the editor or director of the news organization that presently employs applicant
5. Summary statement (explaining reasons for applying for the Fellowship and the expectations)
6. Two recent photographs
7. If available, include a copy of your passport
For more specific information about each document click here.
An originally completed and signed application, along with all seven (7) should be send by regular post and received by April 9, 2010 at:
Dag Hammarskjöld Scholarship Fund for Journalists
512 Northampton Street, No. 124A
Edwardsville, PA 18704
With further queries contact: [email protected]