Open to: EU citizens and non-EU citizens
Scholarship: depending on parent’s income and/or applicant’s income and personal assets
Eligibility & Guiding Principles
In accordance with the guidelines of the German Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF) as well as the Foreign Office (AA), scholarships are awarded by the Scholarship Department to German and foreign students.
A) The following requirements apply to German citizens, EU citizens and students who have gained their university entrance qualifications from a German school:
The maintenance scholarships which are awarded to German citizens, EU citizens and students who have gained their university entrance qualifications from a German school will be calculated on the same basis as BAföG, depending on your parent’s income and/or your own income and personal assets. Irrespective of this, an independent book grant of 80 € per month will be awarded to all successful applicants.
You must be enrolled at a state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time the scholarship payments begin. The foundation also grants scholarships for Master degree courses in other EU countries.
* Earliest application date: if you intend to enrol for a Bachelor or Masters degree, for a Diploma, Magister or State Examination, you can apply for a scholarship before your studies begin, but the earliest date for receiving payment will be the beginning of the first semester. We advise you to make your application in time for the start of your studies.
* Latest application date: within the prescribed maximum period of study you should still have at least four semesters before your final examinations, so that the foundation can support you for at least three semesters.
B) The following requirements apply to foreign applicants (except EU citizens) who wish to study in Germany:
You must be enrolled at a state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time the scholarship payments begin.
* You should provide proof that you have already graduated with an initial professional qualification. This programme mainly supports students aiming for a Masters degree.
* You need a good knowledge of German, and we kindly ask you to provide proof of your proficiency. Please note that the selection workshop (interviews, group discussions) will normally be in German. Exceptions (interview in English) are, however, possible.
* Unfortunately, the current guidelines specify that we can not support foreign scholarship holders for stays abroad in third countries for more than four weeks.
How to apply
download application form (PDF) in German
For more info click here.