Open to: Candidates with a PhD
Fund: € 1,500 a month
The international, and multi-institutional research network on social inequalities in Latin America (desiguALdades.net) offers Postdoctoral Scholarships. Its aim is to promote a paradigmatic shift by systematically addressing the relevance of transregional entanglements for phenomena of social inequalities. For reaching this aim desigualdades.net offers scholarship to postdoctoral researchers. It is hosted by the Freie Universität Berlin where the research community of professors, researchers and fellows provides an excellent environment for the network.
The network is interested in research inputs from junior post-docs who have received a doctorate in economics, law, geography, history, social and political sciences, or a related field, within the last 5 years and who work on social inequalities in Latin America from a transregional perspective.
Scholarship holders are selected on the basis of the relevance of their proposed projects to the research foci of desigualdades.net, their research experience in Latin America and their research accomplishments and potential.
desiguAldades.net postdoctoral scholarships are open to candidates who have received their Ph.D. or have received the reports for their Ph.D. thesis by the time of the application. Candidates who write their Ph.D. in a system where there are no reports but only a final defense or viva, must have completed the viva when applying.
Candidates are eligible during the five-year period following the successful completion of their Ph.D. For example, to apply for 2010 you should have received or submitted your Ph.D. between 2005 and 2010.
* an outstanding doctoral/ PhD degree in social sciences not older than 5 years
* a research proposal contributing directly to the research concept of the network
* excellent command of both English and Spanish/Portuguese
* research background in Latin America
Read about the selection criteria and procedure here.
The scholarship is € 1,500 per month. Successful applicants who receive other grants or salaries must disclose this to desiguALdades.net.
The Scholarships are awarded for 6 or 24 months. Candidates should indicate the preferred period in their application.
Scholarship holders are required to be present in Berlin 2/3 of the duration of their Scholarship in order that they take an active part in the academic activities. Up to 1/3 of the duration of the scholarship can be spent for relevant field research stays in Latin America or for research stays at institutions where a Principal Investigators of desiguALdades.net is located.
desiguALdades.net scholarships are not taxed by the Freie Universität Berlin, but are required to comply with any other tax provisions which may be applicable to them. The postdoctoral researcher independently has to meet all obligations according to the German tax and social security law.
Scholarship holders (but not their families) receive 1 return trip from their home town to Berlin as follows:
* 2nd-class rail (car travel also reimbursed on this basis)
* economy class Y air fare over 500 km
In addition the scholarship holders can apply for travel grants for realizing field and archival research as well as research stays at institutions of Principal Investigators of the network.
How to Apply
* letter of motivation (max. 400 words in English or Spanish)
* research proposal including detailed working plan, time table, expected output and
* selected bibliography (max. 3,000 words in English or Spanish)
* CV (in English or Spanish)
* summary of the dissertation (max. 2,000 words in English or Spanish)
* publication list
* up to two published or unpublished papers related to the research concept of
* desiguALdades.net in English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, or French
* letter of recommendation from a university professor (preferable from one of the
* researchers belonging to the research network) (in English or Spanishcopies of undergraduate and postgraduate degree documents and certificates
* language certificates
Filling in the online application form:
* Fill in all fields; if a field is not relevant mark it n/a.
* If you enter text exceeding a maximum field length you will have to shorten it
* Recheck all field entries and documents before pressing the Submit button
* You will receive confirmation of receipt by email; if not, contact [email protected]
The recommendation letter must be sent directly to desigualdades.net by recommenders. The recommendation letter must be sent from the e-mail address belonging to its author.
The application deadline is August 1, 2010
For more information, go to the official website.