Deadline: open call
Open to: women’s groups that advance the human rights of women and girls
Grants: from $5,000 to $50,000 per year for operating and re-granting expenses
The Global Fund for Women supports women’s groups that advance the human rights of women and girls. GFW grants help strengthen and link women’s funds based outside the United States by providing flexible and timely grants ranging from $5,000 to $50,000 per year for operating and re-granting expenses. GFW value local expertise and believe that women themselves know best how to determine their needs and propose solutions for lasting change.
The Global Fund seeks to strengthen and sustain local philanthropy of Women’s Funds by investing in the following priority areas:
* Providing general operating support to build grantmaking, fundraising, and organizational capacity of women’s funds.
* Promoting mutual learning exchanges among women’s funds.
The projects must meet all the following criteria to be eligible for a grant:
* It is based in a country outside the United States. We do not fund US based organizations.
* Its primary focus is to award grants to women’s human rights groups. o Its past or proposed activities include grantmaking and/or capacity-building for women’s rights groups.
* It is governed, directed, and led by women. Women must fill most or all of the leadership roles.
The priority is given to Women’s Funds that might particularly benefit from our support. These include groups that:
* Are actively fundraising from local sources.
* Are located in a region or country that has extremely limited access to funding resources.
* Are making grants to groups working on issues that are difficult or controversial for women to raise in their communities, yet are critical to the realization of women’s human rights.
* Are making grants to women’s groups organized and led by women from particularly marginalized populations, including but not limited to: refugees, rural women, economically disadvantaged women, women with disabilities, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LGBTQI) populations, sex workers, women affected by military occupation, women in conflict and post-conflict regions, girls and young women, and women from ethnic, religious, and cultural minorities.
* Actively include the perspectives of those served by or benefiting from the fund’s activities.
There are three types of grants:
1. General Support Grants
2. Travel Grants
3. Organizing Meeting/Event Grants
For more specific information click here.
Application form (downloaded here, depending on the grant category) must be submitted by organizations, not individuals, and must be received at least 8 weeks before the event.
The application form can be submitted online or by mail to:
The Global Fund for Women
222 Sutter Street, Suite 500
San Francisco, CA 94108 USA