Open to: emerging or established artists over 18
Application fee: $60
Fund: housing, studio space, meals and certain other benefits and will be required to submit only a nominal residency fee of $100
Anderson Ranch offers an artists’ residency program designed to encourage the creative, intellectual and personal growth of emerging and established visual artists. Finalists are chosen on the basis of artistic merit by an independent jury of established working artists and will live and work at Anderson Ranch for a approximately a ten week residency period. While in residence, all artists will share in an established community of interaction, conceptual development and intense production of work. Given the staffing and facilities available at the Ranch, its artist residency program will become one of the most robust programs of its type in the United States.
While in residence, artists will be encouraged to pursue their own work amidst a group of artistic peers. The residency is designed to allow artists to take risks and pursue new projects and ideas, free from every day pressures. The residency is for those artists desirous of advancing their work or creating a new body of work. Residents are encouraged to pursue a multidisciplinary approach toward their work while at the Ranch.
Who can apply
* Emerging Artist – Designed for artists in the critical early stages of their career who would benefit from ten weeks of time to focus on their work. Typical residents might include those who completed BFA or MFA programs within the past ten years. Most will not have had the opportunity to have a significant exhibition in a gallery or museum or have a piece yet placed in major collections.
* Established Artist – Designed for those who have established a career in the visual arts. Typical residents might include those who have had a major exhibition, and/or had pieces placed in major collections. They may also teach visual arts in respected colleges and universities. Most will have had more than ten years of active studio practice.
There are no specific educational qualifications for entry into the program. Awards will be made to those, who in the exclusive opinion of the jury, have submitted the best work by the application deadline.
Number of Residencies
Approximately 14 artists will be in residence during each term. The Ranch strives to have an equal mix of emerging and established artists working together. Current housing and studio space allows for the following numbers of residencies in each area, each term:
* Ceramics: 4
* Digital Media/Photography: 2
* Furniture Design/Wood/Sculpture: 2
* Painting & Drawing: 2
* Printmaking: 2
* Sculpture: 2
The application must be submitted via the online application form on the official website.
* 10 images of recent work – or up to 3 mins of time based work
* Declaration of professional status (emerging or established)
* Selection of preferred term
* Statement of purpose
* Resume or CV
* Three references
* Application fee of $60
Resident artists will be provided with housing, studio space, meals and certain other benefits and will be required to submit only a nominal residency fee of $100. While in residence, there is an optional structure of critical study such as studio visits, visiting artists, etc.
* February 1, 2011: Online application submittal deadline
* Early April 2011: Notification to applicants/recipients
* October 12 – December 14, 2011: Fall residency term
* February 1 – April 11, 2012: Spring residency term