Deadline: 31 December 2010
Open to: individuals from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine, aged 25 to 40.
Scholarships: flights to and from the UK, accommodation and subsistence during the Programme, and the costs of visas
The John Smith Fellowship Programme strengthens and deepens democratic awareness. The Programme targets outstanding young leaders working in politics, local government or civil society with an established interest in promoting democratic reform. Once a year, in June, a group of young people aged 25 to 40 come to Britain to take part.
The John Smith Fellowship Programme is an intensive five-week programme on good governance, democracy and social justice. It is aimed at the next generation of leaders in independent republics that were formerly part of the former Soviet Union – young people working in politics, local government or civil society with an established interest in promoting democratic reform and proven ability. Those who complete the Programme are known as ‘Fellows’.
• Bring together influential young civil society and political leaders to exchange views and receive information on best professional practice and the promotion of good governance in areas related to their proposed action plans and in ways that enhance their ability as leaders
• Deepen awareness of how a mature democracy supports and develops good governance, the Rule of Law, human rights, and social justice, and encourages citizens’ access and government accountability
• Promote a dialogue between Fellows within and outside their home countries, and create links with young leaders and those working in similar fields in the U.K.
• Build an active network of young leaders committed to good government
• Leadership styles and practices
• Citizenship, law and rights
• Civil society and public opinion
• Policy delivery and Public accountability in government, business and public life
All applicants should include their full name (first name followed by surname) followed by country in the subject heading of the email.
Where possible and practical the Trust will be conducting interviews via web based video / conference call facilities this year. Please be prepared to be interviewed in this manner. Applicants should be aware that interviews will take place during January and February 2011, and should bear this in mind when planning holidays/travel.
Final selection of candidates will be concluded by end February 2011.
Successful interviewees may be asked to sit an English exam at the end of January 2011: A minimum level of IELTS of 6.0 is normally needed for successful candidates.
The cost of IELTS testing must be covered by the applicant.
John Smith Memorial Trust
66 Charlotte Street
London, W1T 4QE
Phone: 0203 370 3139
e-mail: [email protected]