Deadline: 5 November 2010
Open to: those who are able to communicate in English orally and in writing, see the qualifications below
Working hours: hiring for Full-time (40 hours) and part-time (20-hours) positions
About the American Corner Bitola
American Corner Bitola (AC Bitola) is a resource center located within the House of Culture in Bitola. It includes a collection of books, audio-visual materials, periodicals, on-line resources and other information about the U.S.A., in English. AC Bitola is designed to provide information and to encourage dialogue and cooperation between the people of the U.S.A. and the Republic of Macedonia. AC Bitola serves as a venue for speeches, discussions, film or video showings, holiday observances, English language conversation groups, meetings of people who have studied or traveled in the U.S., and other events as scheduled. AC Bitola receives support from the U.S. State Department, and is administered through the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Skopje, in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture through the House of Culture in Bitola.
The American Corner personnel provides assistance to clients who visit and use the AC Bitola; designs and implements programs, speakers and events designed to enhance mutual understanding between the U.S.A. and Macedonia; coordinates user instruction and registration; maintains and safeguards materials, equipment and premises.
Essential Functions include the following:
* Directs and handles the day-to-day activities of the American Corner.
* Inventories library collection and assesses future needs.
* Makes input on data of all books into library software.
* Assists AC users in locating and using reference materials.
* Creates designs and organizes programs and events, in cooperation with the other AC staff and Embassy.
* Prepares venues, publicity materials, handouts, logistics, etc., for programs and events.
* Trains volunteers, residents and community members to assist with ACS programs.
* Establishes and maintains linkages with other American Corners, English language libraries, cultural centers and similar institutions.
* Performs other duties as assigned
* Carries out special projects as needed.
* Keeps accurate records of usage of materials, numbers and types of clients, visitors, etc.
* Prepares statistical and narrative reports on activities
To carry out this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
* Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English. Similar abilities in Macedonian and Albanian are preferred but not mandatory.
* High school or University degree in English Language or other relevant field, with substantial or relevant experience.
* Knowledge of computer-based instruction. Skill in using a wide range of current computer applications, including Internet, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office (Word processing and spreadsheet), and web page design.
* Good typing and data-entry skills.
* Knowledge of the history, values, society, culture, and education of the United States of America.
* Some knowledge of publications and indexing systems, and understanding of library principles and practices.
* Familiarity with reference tools and procedures.
* Competencies and experience in working with people, including youth, adults, aged and disabled individuals.
* Ability to maintain a budget.
* Ability to prepare and update written reports and correspondence, and to maintain accurate records.
* Skills in prioritizing work assignments.
* Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, customers, and the general public.
* Skill in communicating appropriately and courteously with other ACs, the House of Culture in Bitola, and U.S. Embassy staff, and with members of the public.
Interested candidates for this position should submit current curriculum vitae to the following email address: [email protected]