Deadline: 17 December 2010
Open to: Turkish and American young professionals (fields of foreign policy, business and journalism) aged 25-35
Costs: Accommodation and travel costs are fully funded
The Atlantic Council of the United States (ACUS), in partnership with the Istanbul Policy Center (IPC) at Sabanci University, has been awarded a prestigious grant from the U.S. Embassy in Ankara to administer a exchange program designed to connect and build constructive relationships between future leaders from the United States and Turkey. This initiative, “Young Turkey/Young America: A New Relationship for a New Age,” will work towards the vital task of renewing and reinvigorating the important bilateral relationship between the two nations.
The exchange will take place in mid-2011, and will last for nearly one month, with two weeks in the United States (February/March in Washington DC, with a visit to a major regional center with strong international connections,), and ten days in Turkey (June/July, Ankara and Istanbul, with the possibility of visiting a third destination).
During this experience, the participants will have the opportunity to discuss intensively issues in U.S.-Turkish relations, both with leading policymakers and experts in both countries and within small working groups and also opportunities for for socializing and for exploring each country’s rich culture and history.
• Cultivate understanding and lasting ties between American and Turkish participants;
• Develop critical leadership and conflict management skills to empower participants to become leaders in their respective professional fields;
• Facilitate ongoing collaboration among participants through joint projects to be carried out following program completion;
• Use Web 2.0 technologies to build a virtual forum where participants can share their views and experiences with a global audience;
• Build an expanding network of future leaders committed to advancing U.S.-Turkish cooperation through collaboration and ongoing projects.
* Young professionals who have begun a career in the areas of foreign policy, business and/or journalism and have a demonstrated record of leadership
* Between 25 and 35 years of age
* Turkish or American citizenship
* Past experience and/or studies relating to international relations
* English fluency
* A willingness to create a follow-up project true to the program’s mission, possibly with the program’s financial and logistical assistance
Submit the following materials:
* One document saved as YourLastName_YourFirstName_YTYA _2011_App, including:
– Table of general information
– Current CV, including nationality, gender and age;
– 3 Essays
– One English language writing sample, no longer than 5 pages in length
* One separate e-mail with two letters of recommendation or two reference forms
Send your application by 17th December via e-mail, to [email protected].