Deadline: 2 February 2011
Open to: US citizens, holding graduates degrees
Grant: visa assistance, international roundtrip transportation, a monthly allowance for housing and living expenses, and emergency evacuation insurance
IREX’s STG Program seeks to attract, select, and support short-term field research by US scholars and experts in policy-relevant subject areas related to Eastern Europe and Eurasia, as well as to disseminate knowledge about these regions to a wide network of constituents in the United States and abroad. The STG Program provides fellows with the means to conduct in-country research on contemporary political, economic, historical, and cultural developments relevant to US foreign policy. The STG Program plays a vital role in supporting the emergence of a dedicated and knowledgeable cadre of US scholars and experts who can enrich the US understanding of developments in Eastern Europe and Eurasia.
The Short-Term Travel Grants Program (STG) is a flexible fellowship offering support to postdoctoral scholars and professionals to conduct research in Eastern Europe and Eurasia on issues relevant to the US Government.
Because STG supports research for a maximum of eight weeks, fellows have the ability to conduct shorter research trips without significantly affecting their teaching and work schedules.
Eligible countries for research
Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan.
• Be a US citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) of the US;
• Hold a PhD or graduate degree at time of application (MA, MD, MBA, MFA, MPA, MPH, MLIS, MS, JD,);
• Not currently be pursuing a degree;
• Complete an application using IREX’s Online Application System (OAS) no later than 5pm EST on February 2, 2011;
• Not have a grant from another organization or IREX to conduct the same or similar research project at the same time; (applicants may apply for competing grants, however, if offered another grant as well as STG, the applicant must choose between them);
• Have fulfilled all requirements from previous IREX grants.
You have to submit the following materials
• Research proposal
• Travel information
• Language proficiency self -evaluation
• Applications will only be accepted through the IREX Online Application System (OAS)
• The OAS will not permit an applicant to submit their application until the following components have been completed and uploaded:
* All required sections of the online application
* CV or Resume
Participants are provided with visa assistance, international roundtrip transportation, a monthly allowance for housing and living expenses, and emergency evacuation insurance. IARO fellows also have access to resources available in any of IREX’s field offices.