Deadline: 31 January 2011
Open to: students and postgraduates up to 30 years of age with fluent in English
Venue: 17 to 20 March 2011, Belgrade
The United Nations Association of Serbia has been organizing, since the year of 2004, international conference ”Belgrade International Model UN – BIMUN”, simulation of the work of the UN bodies.
The project team is consisted of successful students of social sciences, best participants from previous BIMUN conferences. During the several month-long preparation period, the team participates in all the aspects of planning and organizing a project. When the conference is finished, best participants work on the BIMUN Plus – a research project. In that sense, BIMUN remains a whole-year activity, a process where a large number of successful young people participates, gaining new knowledge and experience, in a fun and interactive way, in accordance with contemporary educational principles.
Topics of Conference
- SECURITY COUNCIL – ”Non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction”
- GENERAL ASSEMBLY – II Committee: “The Global Agreement on Climate Change”
- HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL – ”The rights of migrants in Southeast Europe”
- UNESCO World Heritage Committee – “World Heritage and sustainable tourism”
- BIMUN Plenum – ‘The UN and the U.S. – a new era of multilateralism”
The participants of the conference shall be social studies students from all over the world, with emphasis on representatives from Southeastern European countries. In total, BIMUN will host approximately 200 participants from over 20 countries. The best participants according to the evaluation, will get financial award and an opportunity to participate in ’’BIMUN Plus’’ Project. Also, they would be nominated to participate in ‘’Global Model UN’’. he working language of the Conference will be English.
Criteria for selecting participants
1. Students and postgraduates of social studies – up to 30 years old
2. Good knowledge of written and spoken English
3. Application form with a motivation letter of up to 250 words
4. Expressed interest in international issues
5. Participation fee (Domestic participants: 4.000 RSD, Foreign participants: 75 Euros)
The main goal of the BIMUN Project is to have students practically get familiar with mechanisms of international cooperation and basic diplomatic approach: negotiations, peaceful conflict solutions, dialogue, compromise, consensus building, as well as to understand the importance of UN role in contemporary world. ’’BIMUN 2011’’ will be an opportunity for diplomatic debates, with respect multiculturalism and democratic values, but also for acquaintances and connections of young leaders.