Deadline: 1 February 2011
Open to: young graduates from the US and India with no more than 2 year’s work experience
Allowance: a monthly stipend and housing, fellows will need to cover the travel expenses to India
Applications are now open for the 2011-2012 IDEX Fellowship. IDEX is looking to recruit up to 40 talented, young graduates from the US and India to fill Cohort 2.
IDEX Fellows are based in India as consultants to a social enterprise in the low-income education sector, where they work to understand the socio-economic issues and test models to help solve these issues.
The Fellows contribute to the social enterprise where they are placed by:
* Writing and implementing 1-2 year business and project plans
* Analyzing financial systems and creating budgets
* Building market strategies
* Working with and building relationships with partner organizations
* Planning and attending social enterprise conferences, symposiums, and leadership seminars
* Conducting field-visits to established and/or emerging social enterprises
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
The IDEX Fellowship is open to graduating seniors and those who have graduated from an accredited university/college, having no more than two years of work experience.
Candidates who meet the following will be given preference:
* Academic or work experience in business, economics, development, education, or related fields
* Demonstrated leadership while in university
* High academic success
* Interested in development or social enterprise solutions
* International travel experience
* Interest in entering the field of social entrepreneurship/enterprise
IDEX Fellows are selected based on their ability to:
* Be self-motivated and take initiative in their work
* Adapt to new and often challenging environments
* Be willing to work in low-resource communities in developing nations
* Work collaboratively and contribute to a group of diverse young professionals
* Remain unbiased, open-minded, and culturally sensitive in both their work and group interaction
In addition, IDEX Fellows should:
* Be at least 21 years of age
* Have a valid passport
* No criminal record
* Fellows are provided with a stipend, comparable to recent graduates entering the work force in India, to cover basic living expenses
*Stipend will not cover your own leisure and travel expenses
* Fellows will be provided with housing
* Fellows will need to cover the cost of their own domestic and/or international airfare to India as well as health insurance and immunizations (US nationals)
Applications will ONLY be accepted through the online application. Please note that you will not be able to save applications once you begin. Therefore, you should prepare the following items in Microsoft Word and have them ready to upload when you begin your online application.
1. Cover letter explaining your interest in the fellowship and learning expectations
3. Copy of unofficial college/university transcript
4. Passport copy (US nationals only)
5. Proof of residency (driver license or state issued ID)
6. PAN card copy (Indian Residents only)
7. Answers to the following short answer questions (no more than 1 page, single-spaced per response:
- This opportunity requires an individual who is able to adapt to change, someone who is highly motivated and self-directed, and has an elevated degree of cultural awareness. Please cite one or more examples of situations in which you have exemplified these qualities.
- List your short, medium and long-term goals, and explain how participation in this fellowship will help you in reaching those goals.
- When was the time when you were stretched most? And what, if anything, did you learn from this experience?
8. Contact information for 2 letters of recommendation (name, address, email and telephone number)
- One from a professor/faculty member
- One related to your professional experience if applicable
- Recommendation letters should be emailed directly from the recommender to email@example.com. The subject line should read:
RE: Recommendation from (recommender ‘s name) for (applicant)
The deadline for U.S. Applicants is 1st February 2011.
The 2011-2012 Fellowship begins in July 2011, with an orientation and continues for nine months until April 24th.
For any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org