Deadline: the end of May 2011
Open to: students from developing countries (Africa, Asia and Latin America)
Scholarship: 500 and 550 Euro per month
The One-World-Scholarship-Programme is directed at students from developing countries at Austrian Universities and is meant to contribute to the peaceful coexistence of people from different countries of origin by enhancing equal opportunities, dialogue, intercultural know-how and partnership.
It is complementary to other scholarship programmes and laid out globally, it enhances the ability for independent, creative, critical and self-determined thinking and acting and shall strengthen the competence for innovative problem solving strategies. The OWS contributes to the socially required production of knowledge and awareness, it promotes a global perspective and the creation of the globally educated citizen. It attaches a high significance to regional, international and trans-cultural networks. The programme is co-financed (government, church and private funds and own resources of the recipients of the benefits) and significantly contributes to the economic, social and cultural development of the southern countries.
The One-World-Scholarship-Programme is directed at students from Africa, Asia and Latin America who are interested in development policy and who have come to Austria on their own initiatives, in order to complete their education. With their decision for studying abroad, the students have demonstrated a high degree of assertiveness, creativity and mobility. The scholarship will contribute to following up on the right of education also for those critical and intellectual young people who will find poor conditions in their home countries. These aspects will apply still more strongly to women. So scholarships will offer a chance making up for the ethnic, religious, social and regional discrimination, and in individual cases, also for violations of human rights. The scholarships are divided into:
1. Scholarships for the promotion of students doing bachelor degrees (application in Austria)
2. Scholarships for the promotion of students doing doctoral degrees (application in Austria)
3. Scholarships for the promotion of students doing masters degrees and training programmes (application in Austria or in the country of origin)
The monthly allowance amounts between 500 and 550 Euro. In addition to the scholarships, the AAI will also hand out general benefits (e.g. for learning aids, visa fees) and allowances for the costs of the university preparation programme to students in need from southern countries.
Students can apply for the scholarships by using the application form between the middle of March till the end of May each year.
You can download the application form for the One-World-Scholarship here.
Grant awarding authority
1. Afro-Asian Institute (AAI) Graz (Place of study: Graz, Klagenfurt and Leoben), A-8010 Graz, Leechgasse 22, Tel: +43 316/32 44 34 58. e-mail: t.aichinger[at]aai-graz.at. Webiste.
2. Afro-Asian Institute (AAI) Salzburg (Place of study: Salzburg and Innsbruck) A-5020 Salzburg, Wr. Philharmonikergasse 2, Tel: +43 662/841413-12. e-mail: daniela.molzbichler[at]aai-salzburg.at. Website.
3. Afro-Asian Institute (AAI) Vienna (Place of study: Vienna and Linz) A-1090 Vienna, Türkensstraße 3, Tel: +43 1/3105145-213. e-mail: studium[at]aai-wien.at. Website.