Deadline: for Master: 1 February 2011; for Trainings: different
Open to: holders of a bachelor’s degree from developing countries, see below
Scholarship: cover all related expenses
VLIR-UOS awards scholarships to students from developing countries so that they can follow a master or training programme in Flanders, Belgium. For 2011, VLIR-UOS awards 180 scholarships to first-year master students and 70 scholarships to training participants.
The master programmes at one of Flemish universities, lasting one or two academic years, focus on specific problems of developing countries. These are designed to enable graduates to share and apply acquired knowledge in the home institution and country.
International Master Programmes 2011-2012
* Master of Development Evaluation and Management
* Master of Globalisation and Development
* Master of Governance and Development
* Master of Human Settlements
International Master Programmes 2011-2013
* Master of Aquaculture
* Master of Biology – Specialisation Human Ecology
* Master of Biostatistics
* Master of Environmental Sanitation
* Master of Food Technology
* Master of Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Oceans & Lakes)
* Master of Molecular Biology (IPMB)
* Master of Nematology
* Master of Nutrition and Rural Development,Main Subject: Human Nutrition
* Master of Physical Land Resources
* Master of Water Resources Engineering
In the shorter training programmes at one of the Flemish universities, lasting one to four months, the focus is on transferring skills rather than knowledge, thus creating opportunities for cooperation and networking:
* AudioVisual Learning Materials – Management, Production and Activities (AVLM)
* Beekeeping for Poverty Alleviation
* International Training Programme in Food Safety, Quality Assurance Systems and Risk Analysis
* [email protected] – Management of Electronic Information and Digital Libraries
* Technology for Integrated Water Management
More info about individual programmes here.
You are not older than 40 years if you apply for a scholarship to follow a master programme.
You must not be older than 45 years if you apply for a scholarship to follow a training programme.
For being eligible to apply for VLIR-UOS scholarship candidates must reside in one of following countries: Africa: Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe; Asia: Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Palestinian Administered Areas, Philippines, Vietnam; Latin America: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru, Surinam.
Proof of at least 1 year of comprehensive English-based instruction at a university or recognized equivalent. If not, a TOEFL test is required: a minimum total score of 550 on the paper based test (PBT), or 79 on an internet based test (IBT). Or an IELTS test is required with a minimum overall band score of 6. Or a proof of another test of similar level as TOEFLE or IELTS.
Professional experience is not required for a master programme, but is a competitive advantage for selection, depending on the programme. Required for a training programme. See programme requirements for details (number of years, etc. …).
The scholarship covers all related expenses (full cost).
You must fill in the pre-screening form at the bottom of the page of the programme. You may choose only one programme.
You will need to follow the correct and complete procedure below:
1. Apply on the website via the pre-screening form: fill in name, birth date, country, etc…
2. Receive a VLIR-UOS application/file number by return e-mail from VLIR-UOS (1 week after you filled in the pre-screening form).
3. Apply then on the website from the host university through the link mentioned in the return e-mail from VLIR-UOS and write the received VLIR-UOS application/file number on the application file from the host university.
4. Send a printout of your application file along with all required documents (diploma transcripts, motivation, etc…) to the International Office of the host university (not to VLIR-UOS!).
Then you have correctly applied and can your application be considered. Scholarship application deadlines are:
Master programme: 1 February 2011
Training programme: check for different programme’s website
Programme officer Scholarships
Responsible for scholarship programme
[t] + 32 2 289 05 57
[e] [email protected]
Responsible for scholarship programme, visa applications
[t] + 32 2 289 05 58
[e] [email protected]
For the respective Belgian universities click here.