Deadline: 1 March 2011
Open to: U.S. citizen undergraduate students
Scholarship: up to $5,000
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies abroad. Such international study is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.
Open to all U.S. citizen undergraduates, in good academic standing, who meet the following criteria:
* receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of his/her study abroad.
* applying to or has been accepted into a study abroad program eligible for credit by the student’s accredited institution of higher education in the U.S.
* is studying abroad for at least four weeks in one country.
The application is composed of three elements:
1. Online application
2. Online certifications from the applicant’s study abroad and financial aid advisor
3. Three paper copies of the applicant’s transcript/s that must be sent to: Institute of International Education
Attn: Gilman Transcripts
1800 West Loop South, Suite 250
Houston, Texas 77027
Further information on the application process click here.
Over 2,300 scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded this academic year for U.S. citizen undergraduates to study abroad. Award amounts will vary depending on the length of study and student need with the average award being approximately $4,000.