Deadline: before the end of February
Open to: young people (below 35) with a completed secondary education from various countries
Scholarship: Rp 1.500.000,00 (123EUR)/month
DARMASISWA is a scholarship program offered to all foreign students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia to study Bahasa Indonesia, arts, music and crafts. Participants can choose one of 45 different universities located in different cities in Indonesia. This program is organized by the Ministry of National Education (MoNE) in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA).
The DARMASISWA program was started in 1974 as part of ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) initiative, admitting only students from ASEAN. However, in 1976 this program was extended to include students from other countries such as Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden, and USA. In early 90’s, this program was extended further to include all countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia. Until to date, the number of countries participating in this program is more than 75 countries.
The main purpose of the DARMASISWA program is to promote and increase the interest in the language and culture of Indonesia among the youth of other countries. It has also been designed to provide stronger cultural links and understanding among participating countries.
The interest of international students to participate in this program keep increasing year by year. In 2011, we offer to 750 students who would like to participate in this program.
Darmasiswa RI Program is conducted in 2 schemes, i.e :
- Regular 1 (One) Year – Darmasiswa RI scholarship Program
Regular One Year program is a one-year scholarship program offered to foreign students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia to study Bahasa Indonesia, Art (traditional music, traditional dance, craft) Culinary and Tourism in selected Indonesian Higher Education Institutions.
- Regular 6 (Six) Months – Darmasiswa RI scholarship Program
Regular six-month program is a six-month scholarship program offered to foreign students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia to study Bahasa Indonesia in selected Indonesian Higher Education Institutions.
Monthly allowance will be received by participant is Rp 1.500.000,00 (one million and five hundred thousand rupiah = 123 EUR), and will be transferred to the University/college where they study.
The participant is advised to bring enough money in US dollar for unexpected additional expenses in Indonesia.
The Ministry of National Education (MoNE) will not provide health insurance; therefore the participants are expected to have the International insurance.
- Be not more than 35 years old
- Have a completed secondary education or its equivalent
- Be in good health as proved by Medical Certificate
- Be able to communicate in English and have a basic knowledge of the field they are applying for
1. Fill out application form: for a 6-month programme /for a 1-year programme
2. Not more than 35 years old
3. Completed secondary education or its equivalent
4. Copy of academic transcript
5. In good health as proved by Medical Certificate
6. Passport size color photograph (5 pieces)
7. Full-page copy of passport valid for at least 18 months from time of arrival in Indonesia
8. Able to communicate in English and have a basic knowledge of the field they are applying for
Bundle of candidate’s application shall be submitted before the end of February 2011
The applicant should apply through the following procedures:
1. Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General in the country of residence.
2. Visit the website, applicants should notify to the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General before applying online.
The documents of applicants who have been selected by the Indonesian Embassy will be submitted to the Bureau of Planning and International Cooperation, Ministry of National Education or the Directorate of Public Diplomacy, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, addressed:
Head Bureau of Planning and International Cooperation
Department of National Education
Jalan Jenderal Sudirman,
Telp./Fax. (62-21) 5724707, 5738181
and mail to : email@example.com
Director of Public Diplomacy
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Jalan Taman Pejambon No. 6
Telp. (62-21) 3813480,
Fax. (62-21) 3858035