Deadline: 30 April 2011
Open to: master students in biology, chemistry, and physics and related subjects.
Grants: financial support that covers accommodation costs and living expenses and a small number of travel grants is also available
The IHRS BioSoft offers a guest student programme for Master students in biology, chemistry, and physics and related subjects. (In exceptional cases, also Bachelor students can be accepted.) The guest students will mainly work on a project with one of our PhD students or with a more advanced scientist from August 1 till October 10, 2011. In addition, they will participate in an accompanying course program that includes lab courses and seminars in other IHRS BioSoft groups.
Applicants should be interested in interdisciplinary research, even if their research project will most probably be within one discipline. More about the research of the groups here.
- Institutes that are particularly interesting for biologists are “Molecular Biophysics”, “Cellular Biophysics”, “Bioelectronics”, “Molecular Sensory Systems”, “Biomechanics”, “Phytosphere”, and “Structural Biochemistry”.
- Institutes that are particularly interesting for chemists are “Molecular Biophysics”, “Soft Condensed Matter”, “Theoretical Soft Matter and Biophysics”, “Molecular Sensory Systems”, “Molecular Physical Chemistry”, “Physical Chemistry”, and “Structural Biochemistry”.
- Institutes that are particularly interesting for physicists are “Soft Condensed Matter”, “Physics of Soft Matter”, “Neutron Scattering”, “Theoretical Soft Matter and Biophysics”, “Bioelectronics”, “Biomechanics”, “Phytosphere”, and “Physical Chemistry”.
IHRS BioSoft will provide financial support that covers accommodation costs and living expenses and a small number of travel grants is also available. International Students that organize their own funding are welcome to apply as well (~500 Euro per month for accommodation and ~250 Euro per month for additional living costs are required).
We expect students that visit groups located at the Forschungszentrum reside in Jülich for the entire period of the programme. We will provide assistance to find an accommodation and will reserve rooms at our guest house. Applications of students from the universities in Cologne and Düsseldorf for an IHRS-BioSoft group located at their university will not be accepted.
Admission deadline: April 30, 2011
To apply, please submit
* your CV,
* your high-school certificate,
* your BSc certificate and transcripts (if not available, a list of courses attended including marks),
* your proof of student status for summer 2011,
* your motivation letter (no longer than one page),
* and contact data of your BSc advisor or an university professor that we can ask for a recommendation letter
preferably by email to [email protected]