Deadline: 31 May 2011
Open to: promising young scholars and leading senior reaserchers mainly in the field of the humanities and social sicences
Scholarship: € 26,000 for a junior fellow and € 38,000 for a senior fellow, accommodation, a research budget, coverage of travel expenses
The European Institutes for Advanced Study (EURIAS) Fellowship Programme is an international researcher mobility programme offering 10-month residencies in one of the 14 participating Institutes: Berlin, Bologna, Brussels, Bucharest, Budapest, Cambridge, Helsinki, Jerusalem, Lyons, Nantes, Paris, Uppsala, Vienna, Wassenaar. The Institutes for Advanced Study support the focused, self-directed work of outstanding researchers. The fellows benefit from the finest intellectual and research conditions and from the stimulating environment of a multi-disciplinary and international community of first-rate scholars.
EURIAS Fellowships are mainly offered in the fields of the humanities and social sciences but may also be granted to scholars in life and exact sciences, provided that their proposed research project does not require laboratory facilities and that it interfaces with humanities and social sciences. The diversity of the 14 participating IAS offers a wide range of possible research contexts in Europe for worldwide scholars. Applicants may select up to three IAS outside their country of nationality or residence as possible host institutions.
The Programme welcomes applications worldwide from promising young scholars as well as from leading senior researchers. Based on the 2011/2012 application campaign, the EURIAS selection process has proven to be highly competitive. To match the Programme standards, applicants have to submit a solid and innovative research proposal, to demonstrate the ability to forge beyond disciplinary specialisation, to show an international commitment as well as quality publications in high-impact venues.
For the 2012-2013 academic year, EURIAS offers 36 fellowships (19 junior and 17 senior positions).All IAS have agreed on common standards, including the provision of a living allowance (in the range of € 26,000 for a junior fellow and € 38,000 for a senior fellow), accommodation (or a mobility allowance), a research budget, plus coverage of travel expenses.
Candidates apply exclusively through the online application system. Paper applications are not accepted.
Please create an account VIA THE USER SPACE to access the application platform.
In order to provide evaluators with relevant information to perform their work efficiently, EURIAS fellowship applicants have to submit:
- The completed EURIAS application form
- A curriculum comprising a list of publications
- Publications in a PDF format (2 for juniors, 5 for seniors)
- A detailed research proposal
- For candidates applying for junior fellowships, two letters of recommendation.
Applicants are required to specify the following in their proposals:
- The relevance and connections of the research to a wider academic context
- The aims and methods of research
- The current state and schedule of their research
- The cooperation partners, including national and international contacts, when applicable
- The interdisciplinary dimension of the research, if relevant
- The importance of trans-national mobility for achieving research objectives
- Their motivation for participating in the program
- Issues concerning research ethics, if relevant
HERE you can find the list of available fellowship positions.
Applicants are required to indicate up to three IAS as the most adequate host institutions in the order of preference and to justify their choices.