Deadline: 19 September 2011
Open to: young people (age 12-24)
Awards: a grand-prize and all-expenses-paid trip for the four finalists
Ashoka’s Youth Venture has announced the launch of the 5th annual Staples Youth Social Entrepreneur Competition, in partnership with Staples Foundation. This year’s global competition is open to any youth 12-24 years old who use innovation and technology to drive their venture and improve their community.
The Staples Youth Social Entrepreneur Competition is open to all youth who are:
- Between the ages of 12 and 24
- Operating a youth-led social venture
- Using technology to advance social change; technology is defined broadly, and need not be the primary focus of your work. For example, you may work on education or environmental issues – but if you use social media or digital platforms to accomplish your goals, you qualify!
- Able to demonstrate impact of project
- Willing to put effort into presenting their story to a global audience
- Able to travel to Tucson, AZ to participate in the Techonomy conference from November 13-15, 2011
- Willing to sign a media release giving Ashoka’s Youth Venture permission to distribute videotaped presentations and associated multimedia during and after Techonomy.
Guidelines and Selection Process for the Staples Youth Social Entrepreneur Competition:
- Youth must enter the competition or be nominated.
- Entries will be accepted only in English.
- A panel of internal judges will screen all entries and may invite finalists to fill out a detailed application and submit additional material. Judges may ask to interview entrants by phone or Skype.
- The four finalists will be selected by an external panel of industry experts.
- The decision of the grand-prize winner will be selected by competition judges at Techonomy.
An esteemed panel of judges will select 4 finalists of the 2011 Staples Youth Social Entrepreneur Competition throughout the summer. There are two prizes:
- All-expense- paid trip to Tucson, AZ:
Up to two members from each finalist team will be invited to Tucson, AZ to participate in the annual Techonomy Conference November 13-15, 2011. Finalist teams that can’t attend the 2011 Techonomy Conference and present their stories will forfeit their prize. Selected finalists who are under 18 years of age will need to be accompanied by a teammate or a chaperone at least 21 years of age.
- Staples grand prize selected by competition judges at Techonomy.
To apply, fill in the application form.
The deadline for submission of the applications is 19 September 2011.