Deadline: 31 July, 2011
Open to: candidates from Africa, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia and from countries in the Middle East
Scholarship: DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 750 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany. In addition, DAAD grants an appropriate travel allowance as well as a study and research subsidy and in applicable cases rent subsidies and / or family allowances.
The programme offers very good graduates with a first university degree a chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country. Scholarships are open to candidates from Africa, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia and from countries in the Middle East. With the knowledge and experience acquired in Germany the scholarship holders should later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social tensions. In addition, the training at German institutions of higher education should especially qualify the scholarship holders as partners in political and economic cooperation with Germany. With this programme, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of Good Governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions. The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or in English. Before taking up their Master studies the scholarship holders will be placed on German courses in Germany for normally 6 months. It means the scholarship holders will have to arrive in Germany 6 months earlier before the Master course begins as it is a part of the scholarship. This also applies to the scholarship holders in Master courses taught in English.
- Very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) who in the future want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries. The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
- For Master courses taught in German or in German and English, good knowledge of German (ideally at completed A 2 level at the time of application) is an advantage for being able to pass the German language test required for admission to the Master programme at the end of the six-month preparatory German course. For courses taught in English, proof of good knowledge of English (generally a minimum of 550 TOEFL scores or equivalent) is required.
You can choose between following Master courses:
- Hertie School of Governance, Berlin: Master of Public Policy (MPP)
- University of Duisburg-Essen: MA Development and Governance.
The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals. The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or English. DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 750 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany.
Important application papers to be submitted include:
- DAAD application form for research grants and study scholarships
- Motivation Letter containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic / professional and personal reasons for wishing to participate in the programme
- Full Curriculum Vitae including information about precise field of study and, if applicable, description of job experience
- Recent language certificates giving evidence of your level of proficiency in English (TOEFL, IELTS) and if applicable in German.
- Two letters of recommendation by university professors and/or current or former employers
- Officially authenticated copies of all certificates.
The application must be written in English or German. Papers should not be stapled and preferably be in DIN A4 format (or smaller).