Deadline: 1 October 2011
Open to: international PhD scholars in the fields of the humanities and social sciences
Fellowship: 700 euros per month + accomodation, travel and research expenses
The Centre for Advanced Study Sofia (CAS Sofia) announces a Call for Applications for its 2012/2013 In-Residence Advanced Academia Fellowships in the fields of the humanities and the social sciences.
CAS Sofia invites outstanding scholars to pursue their individual research projects during in-residence periods of up to five months. The invited Fellows participate in the intellectual life and the scholarly community of the Centre (Bulgarian and foreign fellows) while working on projects of their own choice.
- Be non-Bulgarian citizens;
- Have completed a PhD in the fields of the humanities and social sciences;
- International research experience (participation in projects and refereed conferences) and publications in peer-reviewed academic editions are strong advantages;
- Good command of English is highly desirable.
For the academic year 2012/2013 CAS Sofia provides in-residence fellowships of two- to five- month duration to post-doctoral non-Bulgarian researchers. Junior as well as Senior scholars are invited to apply.
The selected Fellows are entitled to:
- A monthly stipend of 700 euro (liable to 10% income tax) to cover living expenses related to the stay in Sofia.
- Accommodation in Sofia, comprising living quarters and working space. The Fellows will also have free access to the CAS library and electronic resources/databases.
- Travel allowance (400 euro)
- Research expenses (100 euro p.m.)
Duration and conditions
Candidates must indicate the preferred fellowship duration and its starting date within the following periods:
- 1 March 2012 – 31 July 2012
- 1 October 2012 – 28 February 2013
The selected Fellows will take part in the regular Fellow seminars and the other scientific events organized by the Centre (workshops, conferences, lectures, etc.) and are invited to present and discuss their project in lectures or seminars. The results of their work shall be summarized in a paper (in English), to be published in the electronic CAS Working Paper Series.
- High quality of the candidate’s academic portfolio and publications, participation in international research;
- Innovative research proposal with significant contribution;
- Interdisciplinary and/or comparative approaches are an advantage
The selection will be carried out by the international Academic Council of CAS based on evaluation of the potential of the candidate relative to his/her career stage and the quality of the proposed project. In some special cases candidates may be invited for an interview. The results will be announced by the end of January 2012 by e-mail and at the website of the institute.
The Academic Council reserves the right, in cases of candidatures with equal quality, to grant advantage to candidates that have not been CAS Fellows within the preceding 3 years / have not repeatedly held CAS fellowships in the past.
Please carefully consider these two documents when preparing your application.
For Junior scholars (up to 12 years after PhD defense) only: two letters of recommendation by scholars familiar with the applicant’s academic work should be faxed/mailed/emailed to CAS by the referees.
All application documents should be presented in English and sent by e-mail to [email protected] with a subject entry “Advanced Academia Fellowships”.
Deadline for applications: October 1, 2011