Deadline: 1 October 2011 for programmes starting in February 2012.
Open to: Non-EU/EEA students, the applicant must have achieved excellent study results
Scholarship: Platinum award – €10,000, Gold award – Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee, Silver award – Covers 75% of the tuition fee,Bronze award – Covers 50% of the tuition fee,Ivory award – Covers 25 % of the tuition fee
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands. Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme starting September 2011 or February 2012. Leiden University was founded in February 1575, as a gift from William of Orange to the citizens of Leiden who had withstood a long siege by the Spaniards.Leiden’s guiding principles are: International orientation; a research character of the University and maintaining the education’s quality.Classes are made up of students from a broad range of cultural backgrounds.Leiden University courses are taught by professors and assistant professors, and generally not by PhD and post-doc students.
Leiden University courses are taught by professors and assistant professors, and generally not by PhD and post-doc students.The language of instruction for most programmes is English and for some Dutch. A number of Language and Culture programmes are taught in French, German, Italian and Spanish. Master’s students are closely involved in the research carried out within their department: a number of departments and programmes focus specifically on preparing the master’s student for a career as a scientific researcher. In the master’s programme, teaching is on a smaller scale. This more individual approach allows you to get the maximum benefit from your master’s study. Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University master’s degree.The applicant will hold a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans.
All nationalities enrolling in the following programmes starting September 2011 or February 2012:
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Air and Space Law,
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European and International Business Law,
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Tax Law,
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Public International Law,
- MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy.
- In his or her prior academic education abroad, the applicant must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the programme for which the student wishes to enroll. As an indication, the student will be among the top 10% for the relevant programme followed abroad.
- The applicant will hold a non-EU/EEA passport and will not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans.
- Students who are granted a Leiden Excellence Scholarship must comply with and confirm in writing their agreement with the terms and conditions (pdf) attached to the scholarship prior to the granting of the scholarship.
Letter of motivation
To apply for the scholarship, you should write a letter of motivation (in Word) of a maximum of 500 words, in which you indicate why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship. The Word document should then be attached on the scholarship page in your online application for the master’s programmes for which you are applying.
It is possible to submit applications for more scholarship programmes simultaneously. However, it is not possible to obtain more than 1 scholarship from Leiden University for the same study programme. If you have already submitted your online application for admission to Leiden University, but would still like to apply for the LExS scholarship, we kindly request you to submit the LExS motivation letter to the Scholarships department (e-mail).
The Faculty selection committee will review the applications. Students are selected on the basis of academic merit.
Platinum award covers the tuition fee minus the home fee and an allowance of €10,000 for living costs.
Gold award covers the tuition fee minus the home fee.
Silver award covers 75% of the tuition fee.
Bronze award covers 50% of the tuition fee.
Ivory award covers 25 % of the tuition fee.
The number and type of award of the scholarship depends on the budget available for each Faculty department. The type of award has no reflection on the students’ academic level of excellence. The tuition fee will be reduced to the amount of the home fee. Students who have been awarded a Platinum or Gold award still have to pay the home fee themselves.
How to apply
- A photocopy of your valid passport.
- A letter of motivation.
- Copies of all your higher education diplomas and transcripts (documents stating academic degrees and grades obtained). Certified copies or original copies of the diploma’s and transcripts may be requested later on during the process. Please include translations when these documents are not in English, Dutch, German or French.
- You need to demonstrate your proficiency in English, preferably by means of an IELTS test.
- Updated curriculum vitae (resumé).
- 2 letters of recommendation, at least one from an academic.
Tuition and application Fees – The application fee is €100.