Deadline: To be determined
Open to: All interested between the ages of 18 and 80 at the beginning of 2014, able to speak Russian and English
Two years before the start of the Games, the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee has announced its volunteer recruitment program. Anyone between the ages of 18-80 (on 6 January 2014) will be eligible to become a Sochi 2014 volunteer. Over 200,000 registered bids are expected on the official website, with an estimated eight applicants per position.
Different events will be held all over the country with participation of 26 Sochi 2014 volunteer centers to mark the start of the volunteers’ recruitment. The most important event will be organized in Sochi at the “Rosa Khutor” Alpine Center in Krasnaya Polyana. In presence of Deputy Prime Minister of Russia, Dmitry Kozak, volunteers will set on fire a giant heart (1.2 m x 1.2 m) which has already become a symbol of the Sochi 2014 volunteer movement. Also the volunteers will hand to each other a small burning heart, they hope it will become a nice tradition which will help to promote participation in the volunteer movement and increase a number of good deeds.
Persons willing to become volunteers should complete a form at from 7 February 2012. Then, according to a chosen activity area and region of residence, the bid will be submitted in one of 26 volunteer centers “Sochi 2014” situated all over the country. During several days the applicant will get the registration acknowledgement. The applicants whose bids will totally satisfy the requirements will be invited to a selection interview.
Sochi 2014 partners actively support the start of mass volunteer’s recruitment. Ingosstrakh will insure life of Sochi 2014 volunteers. MegaFon will provide them with mobile connection; the company has also created and supports the volunteer call-center. BOSCO SPORT will provide the volunteers with uniform for the test events that start in December, 2012, and for the Olympic Games correspondingly. Atos has worked out and supports the IT system of volunteer’s management. Rostelecom provides telecommunication services for this system.
EF English First checks candidate’s English level and will teach volunteers “Olympic” English. Detech company is responsible for the psychological testing of the candidates, and specialists of the Exect company will teach volunteers to work in the team.
Key requirements for being a volunteer at the Games:
- You are a Russian citizen, or a foreign citizen with Fluent conversational Russian
- At the beginning of 2014 you will be over 18, but under 80 years of age
- You share the Olympic and Paralympic Values
- You are keen to help out on a unique project for Russia, expand your circle of friends, and gain new experiences, knowledge, skills and – most importantly – a wave of positive emotions
- You possess the qualifications and skills that are required for your chosen area of volunteer activity
- You can speak English (other foreign languages are a big plus)
- You are selfless, friendly, good at using your initiative, responsive, patient, able to work as part of a team and prepared to undergo training (free training sessions are to take place at the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee’s 26 Volunteer Centres, operating out of some of the country’s leading higher education institutions)
What’s in it for volunteers at the Games?
- The chance to take part in an event of global significance
- A comfortable uniform
- Unique souvenirs
- Gaining new experience and meeting new people
- The chance to seethe Games from the inside
- The chance to attend competition events and see some of the world’s greatest athletes in the flesh
Also you get a chance to enjoy free:
- Meals, during the Games
- Travel between your accommodation in the host city for the Games and your place of work
The volunteer work is unpaid. However, volunteers will be provided with accommodation, meals during shifts, uniforms and transportation to their place of work. You will need to fund your own travel to Sochi and back.
All medical assistance will be provided under the compulsory medical insurance programme for citizens of the Russian Federation. Foreign citizens must apply for medical insurance valid in the Russian Federation independently. The company «Ingosstrakh», a Games Partner, will insure volunteers against accidents.
You can apply to become a volunteer at the Games by registering here.
If you are a foreign national, then your application will be reviewed by the staff of the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee either in Moscow or Sochi. In addition, if you live outside the territory of the Russian Federation, you will be contacted and informed regarding further selection procedures. Please note that the selection procedures and training depend on the functional area in which you want to work. Many of these positions require a personal interview in Moscow or Sochi, as well as a test of your Russian language knowledge.
If you legally reside within the territory of the Russian Federation, then you may be directed to one of the 26 Volunteer Centres for the selection and training process, depending on your chosen function and location of your stay in Russia.
Registration of volunteers will begin 7 February 2012 at midnight Moscow time. The last day of registration for volunteers will be announced at a later time, though no later than 7 days before the last application acceptances.
For more information please read the FAQ’s section.