Deadline: Ongoing, intakes close on the 1st of May and 1st of November
Open to: Social activists over the age of 18, fluent in English
Fellowship: The equivalent of a year’s salary, a contribution towards expenses plus access to a travel allowance
The Shuttleworth Foundation Fellowship offers you the freedom and financial ability to bring about the change you envisage for the world as well as an enabling support structure and an existing network of social change agents.
You shall be provided with technological, financial, and legal support, enabling all administrative processes such as contracting with 3rd parties, done in an efficient and risk free manner. The Foundation will also work to support you by connecting you with their network of projects, funders and institutions.
The Foundation will support the Fellow to take their good ideas and turn them into successful initiatives. You will also be part of a continually growing alumni network to share learning experiences.
The equivalent of a year’s salary, a contribution towards expenses plus access to a travel allowance. In addition, the Fellow will have access to potential project funding from the Foundation. The total grant amount will be based on the Fellow’s qualifications, experience and comparable cost of time for their skill level.
The duration of the fellowship is 1 year, with the possibility of renewal, based on reapplication.
Application is open to:
- Anyone who has an innovative idea for social change through fresh thinking that adds value in the areas of knowledge, learning and technology.
- Anyone who has a clear vision of how the world can be a better place and the contribution they can make to bringing about the change.
- The fellowship is not limited to any specific geographic location. However, applicants must be fluent in English.
- Fellowship applicants must have attained the age of majority by the date of application.
Fellows are expected to commit 100% of their time and attention to the focus area selected for their fellowship. The fellowship aims to free up the time of the Fellow to pursue their ideas in this area. The Fellow must submit any outside work, volunteering or otherwise, that they may want to conduct whilst on a Foundation Fellowship, to the Foundation for approval.
- Fellows are required to attend the bi-annual Fellows gatherings.
- Fellows work from where they are currently based, with an open door to visit the Foundation’s head office in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Fellows are asked to live out loud, communicating openly and actively on their ideas, projects and strategies.
Send your CV (no more than 3 pages)
Send a 5 minute video on your ideas
Answer the 4 questions below (no more than 2 pages)
- Describe the world as it is. (a description of the status quo and context in which you will be working)
- What change do you want to make? (a description of what you want to change about the status quo, in the world, your personal vision for this area)
- What do you want to explore? (a description of the innovations or questions you would like to explore during the fellowship year)
- What are you going to do to get there? (a description of what you actually plan to do during the year)
If you have specific questions about this process, or you would like to apply, please email: [email protected]