Deadline: 6 June 2012
Open to: Outstanding students, not older than 22 years old, from countries mentioned below
Scholarship: Full tuition fees, return air fare from the applicant’s home country, accommodation and food (full board), health insurance, additional monthly allowance of 5000 MKD (approximately 82 EUR)
The Government of the Republic of Macedonia announces the Call for Applications for full undergraduate scholarships, initiating for the academic 2012-2013, at the University of Information Science and Technology “Saint Paul the Apostle” in Ohrid, Macedonia.
UIST Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia, officially University for Information Science and Technology “St. Paul the Apostle”, was registered in the Central Registry of the Republic of Macedonia in July 2009. UIST Ohrid is a State University legally established by the Parliament of the Republic of Macedonia in 2008, with subsequent legal amendments in 2009 and 2010. The Statute of UIST Ohrid was approved by the Republic of Macedonia Parliament in August 2010.
This bold and visionary initiative of the Macedonian government combines the best research and teaching practices current in the USA, Europe, and locally, while complying at the same time with the Bologna European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). The university is located in the beautiful and ancient city of Ohrid, place to one of the first universities in Europe that St. Clement (Sv. Kliment Ohridski) built here in the 9th century. UIST recruits academics from all over the world, with staff coming from the USA, England, France, Italy, Tunisia, the Philippines, India, Germany and South Africa. To further promote an International competitiveness in our prized students, the University has adopted English language as the medium of instruction.
The scholarships are available to outstanding students, not older than 22 years old, from Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Cameron, People’s Republic of China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Indonesia, Israel, India, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lithuania, Malaysia, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Portugal, Qatar, Poland, Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Slovakia, United Republic of Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Uzbekistan, Nigeria and Vietnam who wish to pursue undergraduate studies in one of the following programmes:
- Communication Networks and Security;
- Computer Science and Engineering;
- Information Systems, Visualization, Multimedia and Animation;
- Information Theory and Analysis and
- Machine Intelligence and Robotics. One full scholarship will be awarded to a candidate from each of the eligible countries.
The scholarship provides for:
- full tuition fees;
- visa and residence permit fees (proof of good health condition and immunization chart is required);
- return air fare from the applicant’s home country;
- accommodation and food (full board) in the University dorm “Nikola Karev” in Ohrid, the Republic of Macedonia;
- health insurance;
- additional monthly allowance of 5000 MKD (approximately 82 EUR);
All prospective students should note that the application process starts on the 01.04.2012 and will be open until 01.06.2012. Candidates are required to submit an online application, which from 01.04.2012 will be available on the official scholarship web site of the Ministry of Education and Science, www.stipendii.mon.gov.mk or submitted in hard copy to the appropriate Ministry of Education of the applicant’s home country or in electronic version. All students must send attached scanned copies of the required documents and Application form to the following e-mail: [email protected]
In supplement to the application, candidates are required to provide electronic copies from the following original documents:
- Application Form (can be found in the annex of this Call for Scholarships or can be downloaded from the website of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Macedonia: www.mon.gov.mk);
- Official high school diploma or certificate (where applicable);
- Official transcripts;
- Proof of English proficiency. All students whose first language is not English are required to provide evidence that their spoken and written command of the English language is appropriate for the programme they are applying.
The required evidence may take the form of either:
- Substantial education (minimum 15 months) conducted in English and undertaken no more than two years prior to the date of enrolment
- Acceptable English language qualification or test result. The qualification or test results must have been awarded no more than two years prior to the proposed date of enrolment.
Accepted results are:
- Grade C or better in English Language at GCSE / GCEO
- Grade C or better in English First Language at IGCSE
- Grade B or better in English Second Language at IGCSE
- An overall band of 6.5 or better in IELTS
- A score of 550 or better in the paper-based TOEFL (213 for computer-based, 80 for internet-based)
- Subscores of 550 or better in Critical Reading and 550 or better in Writing in SAT
- Grade 4 or better in the Higher Level English Language (B Syllabus); or grade 5 or better in the Standard Level English Language (B Syllabus); or grade 4 or better in the Higher or Standard Level English Language (A1 or A2 Syllabus);or grade 4 or better in the Standard Level English – Text and Performance; or grade 4 or better in the Standard Level English – Literature and Performance (A1 syllabus) at International Baccalaureate
- Official document certifying the candidate has no criminal convictions and is not under criminal investigation at the moment of application. Candidates should note that with the exception to some countries, these are two separate documents;
- Official general medical report, including medical tests for HIV and Hepatitis C;
- An electronic copy of Passport which must be valid for the next 3 calendar years;
- In addition, as part of the application candidates are required to summit contact details from two academic professors/teachers, who will provide letters of recommendation for the candidate. Candidates are advised to notify the professors ahead of time, in order for the references to be submitted within the application deadline. Both letters are confidential. In case they are sent in the form of hard copy, the documents must be sent in a sealed envelope, signed by the referee across the seal.
All documents submitted must be in English or officially translated in English.