Deadline: 16 May 2012, 29 June 2012
Open to: Holders of an MsC degree or equivalent, having strong interest in research and wish to lead it in The Department of Information and Communication Technologies
Scholarship: Includes teaching assistance tasks (60 hours). Monthly wage: 981.44€
The Department of Information and Communication Technologies at Universitat Pompeu Fabra seeks doctoral applications for 2012-13 from talented students with a strong interest in research.
The doctoral programme in Information and Communication Technologies covers many of the most important research topics in the information society. This is an innovative programme, unique in Catalonia and Spain in terms of its content, which aims to provide a bridge between various disciplines in this field. These are grouped into four main areas: cognitive and intelligent systems, audiovisual technologies, networks and communications, and computational biology and biomedical systems. The themes of the programme are the same as the lines of research that are worked on at the DTIC.
The programme received a Mention of Excellence from the Ministry of Science and Innovation in 2011.
The research lines are the research work carried out by the research groups in the department. These research groups are grouped in four areas:
Cognitive and intelligent systems
- Synthetic and emotional perception and cognitive systems
- Artificial intelligence and theoretical computer science
- Natural language processing
- Ubiquitous computing
- Information retrieval and data mining
- Cognitive media technologies
- Image processing and computer vision
- Audio and music processing
- Human-computer interaction, graphic and educational technologies
Networks and communications
- Technologies and protocols for wireless networks
- Wireless transmission theory
- Communications network technologies and services
Computational biology and biomedical systems
- Computational neuroscience
- Biomedical instrumentation and signals
- Computational vision and modelling in biomedicine
- Biomedical data analysis
Candidates for PhD positions must hold an MsC degree or equivalent. Students will pursue doctoral studies in one of the research areas of the department which include Cognition and Computation, Artificial Intelligence and Theoretical Computer Science, Natural Language Processing, Ubiquitous Computing, Information Retrieval and Data Mining, Cognitive Multimedia Technologies, Image Processing and Computer Vision, Sound and Music Computing, Human-Computer Interaction, Graphics and Educational Technologies, Technologies and Protocols for Wireless Networks, Wireless Communications, Fixed Networks, Computational Neuroscience, Instrumentation and Biomedical Signals, Computational Imaging and Computational Physiology, and Analysis of Biomedical Data.
If the applicant’s background in the selected research line is not strong enough, he/she should concurrently apply to one of the Master programs offered by the Department (Masters of the DTIC). In addition, the Graduate Studies Committee of the Department or the Ph.D. supervisor may request that a student enrolls in specific Master courses.
UPF master’s degrees that can be taken prior to this doctorate
- CSIM (Interdisciplinary MSc in Cognitive Systems & Interactive Media)
- IIS (Intelligent Interactive Systems – MSc)
- SMC (Sound and Music Computing – MSc)
The Department offers two types of scholarships: both of them cover the tuition fees (except the administrative rates).
– RDI Grant: Includes some teaching assistance (40 hours) and research tasks. Monthly wage: 587.10€ + extra amount founded by the research project
– PhD Grant: Includes teaching assistance tasks (60 hours). Monthly wage: 981.44€
General information on doctoral programs at UPF: UPF Doctoral Programmes
Department of Information and Communication Technologies
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Roc Boronat, 138 (Tanger Building)
Office 55.205 – 2nd. floor
Tel: (34) 93-542 / 2927/ 2325
Fax: (34) 93-542 25 17
email: [email protected]