Deadline: 15 May 2012
Open to: Non Italian citizens and residents, holding a degree equivalent to the Italian diploma di laurea/laurea specialistica/laurea magistrale
Scholarship: € 19.800,00 per year
The University of Rome “La Sapienza” offers 19 three year full-time postgraduate PhD positions with
fellowship for attaining the degree of “Dottore di Ricerca” (PhD) in the Doctoral Schools listed in
The PhD Programme lasts three years and may be extended to a fourth year (without grant), subject to
approval by the School authorities. At the end of the first and second year of attendance, students have
to be evaluated as proficient according to the rules of the Schools.
Applications are opened to candidates who:
• are not Italian citizens;
• are not residents of Italy
• have obtained an academic qualification abroad by a non-Italian institution which satisfies the
entrance requirements for admission to the Doctoral Programme, i.e., a degree equivalent to the
Italian diploma di laurea/laurea specialistica/laurea magistrale, or expect to obtain it before 31
July 2012. The equivalence of each qualification to the relevant Italian degree will be
ascertained (for the sole purpose of this competition) by the Academic Board of the Schools.
Each fellowship amounts to € 19.800,00 per year; this amount includes national insurance contributions
(INPS) that fellowship recipients are required to pay (9,24% for 2012/2013).
The fellowship doesn’t cover the annual entrance fee and doesn’t increase for research periods spent
To submit the application candidates should e-mail to the address of the School of their choice (see
Schools Directors e-mail list in the appendix) a completed and signed application form available on the website page:
http://www.uniroma1.it/didattica/offerta-formativa/dottorati the following supporting documents:
• a photocopy of their identity card or passport;
• Curriculum vitae et studiorum in English;
• a copy of degree certificate and list of exams with marks;
• a report on any research carried out by the candidate (if any);
• a list of publications (if any);
• any further qualification and information the candidate wishes to be taken into account;
• a brief statement explaining his/her Doctoral School choice and the candidate’s scientific
• two letters of reference by university professors or eminent researchers/experts of equivalent
status; such letters must be sent directly to the Directors of the Schools (see e-mail addresses,
The deadline for submission of the application and supporting documents above listed is 15
The University may exclude at any time candidates lacking admission requirements.
The list of winners, and of those who may be considered as eligible if places become free, will be
published on the official web-site:
within 15 June 2012.
Successful applicants will find the indication of the deadline for accepting the fellowship on the above
mentioned short list.