Deadline: 9 May 2012
Open to: Holders of an university degree in translation, languages, social sciences, literature, or in a subject area relevant to WHO
Remuneration: Annual salary of USD 56091 at single rate (net of tax)
The objective of the programme offered by the World Health Organization (WHO) is to ensure continuing availability of valid scientific, technical, managerial and other information relating to health to Member States in the official languages of WHO.
The incumbent is required to translate into French a wide variety of texts dealing with medicine, public health and related subjects as well as administrative, financial and legal matters and to contribute to the establishment of accurate terminology in French.
- To translate into French from English a wide variety of texts dealing with medicine, public health and related subjects as well as administrative, financial and legal matters (resolutions and records of WHO’s governing bodies, documents for WHO conferences and meetings, working papers, scientific articles, speeches, programme statements, reports, correspondence, etc.);
- To contribute to the establishment of accurate terminology in French and to promote the TRA terminology data base;
- To perform other related duties, as required.In order to undertake the above activities the incumbent is called upon to:
- apply linguistic and analytical skills to produce elegant, concise and accurate translations;
- undertake reference and terminology research work as required;
- consult with originator or competent units to clarify ambiguous points and solve problems relating to terminology or meaning;
- draw attention to any errors or inconsistencies in texts to ensure that they are corrected in the original and in other language versions as appropriate;
- advise on French usage on request.
The position is open for the candidates with the following background.
University degree in translation, languages, social sciences, literature, or in a subject area relevant to WHO. (for WHO staff please see e-manual III.4.1, para 220)
- Producing results
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Advanced knowledge of translation. Ability to work in a team, tact and discretion. Familiarity with health related subjects an asset. Knowledge of international development issues. Ability to use computer equipment. Computer literacy and knowledge of software applications to translation.
At least five years experience of translation (self-revised) in French of which at least three at international level, preferably within the UN system.
Experience in terminology or in applications of computer science to translation.
Excellent knowledge of English and French required.
The successful candidate will be provided with the annual salary of USD 56091 at single rate (Net of tax), USD 60091 with primary dependants.
Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable WHO to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit WHO’s e-Recruitment website at: www.who.int/employment. The system provides instructions for online application procedures. All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.