Deadline: June 1, 2012 (early bird) and July 1, 2012 (final deadline)
Open to: people of all ages and from any background, who share a passion for the ideas of liberty
Venue: August 27 – September 1, 2012, Lake Bled, Slovenia
The Liberty Seminars are organized by the Slovenian think tank Društvo Svetilnik (Lighthouse Association). Interested individuals may choose between two seminars:
- Liberty Camp (August 27 – September 1, 2012) is a week-long seminar that actively explores the historical, philosophical and economic foundations of a free society through engaging lectures, small group discussions, movie screenings, debates and presentations. In an intellectually stimulating environment, the participants will develop a deeper understanding of today’s challenges, while exploring and discussing a range of issues, including liberal ideas in theory and practice; the origins, meaning and theories of individual civil and economic liberties; the rule of law and property rights in a free society; and government’s powers and its proper limitations. This seminar is mostly attended by high school and college students.
- Liberty Academy (August 27 – September 1, 2012) is a unique week-long seminar dedicated to the advanced study of liberty. Debates and lectures take the participants beyond the basic principles of liberal thought. During the seminar, intellectually curious individuals apply liberal insights to the range of issues, including liberal economic and political institutions, the rule of law, markets and morality, corruption and public sector transparency, and economic development. This seminar is mostly attended by graduate students, junior scholars, young professionals and advanced undergraduate students who are well versed in the principles of the free society.
The Liberty Seminars are open to people of all ages and from any background. You are welcome to spend an unforgettable week with other individuals who share a passion for the ideas of liberty.
Only the first 40 qualified applicants are invited to attend one of the two Liberty Seminars.
Liberty Camp 2012 and Liberty Academy 2012 will be organized at the same time (August 27 – September 1, 2012). You may apply to only one of two seminars. Both seminars are held at Hotel Kompas at Lake Bled in Slovenia.
Participation fee for Liberty Camp or Liberty Academy is 700 euro and includes:
– entrance to all academic activities of the seminar,
– accommodation in a hotel**** during the seminar,
– all meals during the seminar,
– field trips during the seminar,
– outdoor activities (canoeing, camp-fires, etc.),
– books, academic journals, CDs and other material and
– T-shirt of the Liberty Seminars
Due to the generous support of private donors wishing to encourage a better grasp of the ideas of liberty, participants are eligible to receive a scholarship to attend the Liberty Seminars. Application for the scholarship should be submitted along with the application to the seminar. We offer two types of sholarships:
– general scholarship of 500 euro (all participants are eligible)
– special scholarship of 700 euro (only those participants are eligible that are alumnus of The Fund for American Studies, Polish-American Leadership Academy or University of Donja Gorica)
Participants are responsible for their travel costs to/from the seminar. No travel grants are offered.
The applications will open on May 10, 2012. The deadlines: June 1, 2012 (early bird) and July 1, 2012 (final deadline). Application form is available here.