Deadline: Ongoing (The call is urgent; apply as soon as possible)
Open to: Students who are enrolled in Media / Journalism /Media Design Studies with a strong affinity to culture and arts
Reimbursement: The intern will receive a fee/reimbursement of costs amounting to 375 Euros gross per month
Do you have a background in media, journalism, documentary or film? Want experience in a European cultural organization? Want to get involved with event and festival production? Are you a pro-active all-rounder with an interest in media and young people? You just might be the intern that Doc Next Network is looking for!
- Location: Amsterdam
- Duration: 10 – 20 weeks, 0.6 FTE
- Start date: 17 September 2012
- Apply before: as soon as possible, urgent!
The European Cultural Foundation (ECF at www.eurocult.org) is an independent organisation which helps the arts contribute to a strong, united and diverse Europe built on shared cultural values. ECF has a special commitment to the new generation of Europeans and to the European Neighbourhood. Many of their activities are geared towards bringing out the creativity in young people of all backgrounds and towards empowering cultural actors of change.
The ECF Youth and Media Programme and its core partnership scheme called Doc Next Network, are looking for an intern to assist at various levels of the programme activities, specifically the following:
- Assisting in the roll-out of ECF’s collaboration project with the International Documentary Film Festival (IDFA) in Amsterdam, in November 2012 (http://www.idfa.nl/nl.aspx)
- Assisting with the logistics, production and (online) outreach and touring of a live cinema performance European Souvenirs (part of ECF’s Imagining Europe event at De Balie in Amsterdam)
- Working on the archival of the Doc Next Media Collection: updating, editing, handling 3rd party request and preparing pitches to potentially interested parties.
The tasks on the internship are flexible but will provide work experience within an international organisation relevant to the candidate’s education.
Production & logistics
- Assist in logistical and production tasks for Doc Next at IDFA (November 2012), a programme with Doc Next documentary screenings and meetings. The programme of the IDFA collaboration is developed in cooperation with the international partners of Doc Next Network. The intern will be pivotal in supporting this.
- Assisting in communications tasks related to IDFA and to Imagining Europe, an event taking place in October 2012.
- Cooperating closely with the freelance producer for IDFA and online editor of www.docnextnetwork.org, as well as the Communications department, all under the responsibility of the Youth and Media Team.
- (Online) research contributing to the address lists for communication purposes
- Attending Y&M team meetings and ECF staff meetings.
- Conduct and present a mapping of organizations (cultural) working with young people (15-30) and media in NL and Europe, with a focus on those organisations that work in documentary (transmedia / video / film / audio / photography).
- Third year in Media / Journalism / Media-design Studies (the applicant must be a registered student throughout the entire course of the internship);
- Affinity with culture and arts;
- Knowledge of new / social and DIY media;
- Strong interest in European development – understanding and knowledge of the history and geography of the European continent and the implications for young people in Europe (esp. Spain, Turkey, UK, Poland and the Netherlands);
- Fluent in Dutch and English (any of the other languages Spanish, Polish or Turkish is preferable but not required per se);
- Hands-on attitude and pro-active approach;
- Quick with media software, social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, other).
The intern must have a valid work permit for the Netherlands (according to Dutch Labour Law)
The intern will receive a fee/reimbursement of costs amounting to 375 Euros gross per month, based on 3 days (22.5 hours) a week, from which the internship provider will pay the social security premiums, wage tax and national insurance contributions that are due.
The ECF strives to be an equal opportunities employer and to see that the make-up of its staff is diverse and representative of society. The ECF welcomes applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Application in English and via email only must include a motivation letter, detailed CV and a support letter from your Study Programme Coordinator / your College or University. Please send this to Gill Wijnhoven, HR Officer ([email protected]) at your earliest convenience.