Deadline: 1 October 2012
Open to: PhD students or postdocs in the field of EU and international studies
Scholarship: €15,000 for the duration of the internship, before taxes. Plus up to €5,000 refunded for travel and accommodation.
The Italian Institute of International Affairs (Istituto Affari Internazionali – IAI) is offering a scholarship for training and research in its European Programme, reserved for PhD students or postdocs in the field of EU and international studies.
The successful applicant will carry out, under the supervision of an IAI senior fellow, the following activities:
- Research on political and institutional aspects of European integration
- Writing articles, analyses and reports for the institute
- Active participation in seminars and conferences
- Participation in the management of the institute’s research projects and the organization of seminars and conferences
- Dissemination and promotion of projects of the Europe Programme
The successful applicant will carry out these activities in Rome (three months at the IAI) and in Turin (six months at the Department of Culture, Politics and Society of the University of Turin and at the Centre for Studies on Federalism – CSF), both IAI partners.
- a PhD or a PhD candidacy in the field of European and international affairs (please specify the title of your thesis)
- very good knowledge of spoken and written Italian and English (candidates with additional French language skills are preferred)
- extensive knowledge of the academic and political debate on European integration processes (studies and publications in this field of research would be a plus)
- ability to work, both individually and in groups, in an international context (work experience and study abroad will be taken into consideration)
- no older than 30 years of age.
The successful applicant will be offered a scholarship for a period of nine months. The grant is estimated at €15,000 for the entire duration of the internship, before tax and social security payments required by law. Also, expenses for travel and accommodation up to a maximum of € 5,000 will be refunded. The scholarship is financed by the IAI, with the support of the Compagnia di San Paolo and the contribution of the CSF.
Applicants should send a curriculum vitae, a complete list of publications and a cover letter by October 1, 2012 to the following e-mail address: [email protected] (re: European Scholarship). Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview to be held in Turin before October 20, 2012.
Activities are planned to begin on November 5, 2012.
More About IAI
The Istituto Affari Internazionali was founded on 11 October 1965 on the initiative of Altiero Spinelli, its first director.
In 1991 the Institute moved to Palazzo Rondinini, an elegant 18th century Baroque building in the heart of Rome, where the main activities organized by the Institute take place.
A non-profit organization, the IAI is funded by individual and corporate members, public and private organizations, major international foundations, and by a standing grant from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Institute’s main objective is to promote an understanding of the problems of international politics through studies, research, meetings and publications, with the aim of increasing the opportunities of all countries to move in the direction of supranational organization, democratic freedom and social justice (IAI Bylaws, Article 1).
See HERE for more information about the scholarship opportunity.