Deadline: 4 November 2012
Open to: applicants holding a Ph.D. or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities from 2006 or later
Fellowship: monthly stipend of 1,200 Euros plus free housing
Promoting the free and independent pursuit of scholarly research in the context of an interdisciplinary intellectual community is the main mission of CEU Institute for Advanced Study (CEU-IAS). Located in Budapest, the vibrant cultural and academic hub of Central and Eastern Europe, CEU IAS brings together scholars from all over the world who work in the fields of the social sciences, humanities and the law. High level scholarly work is achieved through a combination of sustained individually undertaken research and ongoing collaborations and conversations with other scholars. CEU IAS is committed to providing its fellows with the time, space and opportunity to do both and to choose their balance and form.
CEU IAS is currently accepting applications for its core junior fellowship program for the academic year 2013/14. Fellowships are available in all research areas of the social sciences and humanities, broadly defined. Fellowships are available for the full 9-month period (Oct- June) or for either the 3-month Fall semester (Oct- Dec) or the 5-6 month Spring semester (Jan- June).
Junior fellows receive a monthly stipend of 1,200 Euros to help support their stay in Budapest. In addition, all fellows and their families receive free housing (minus utilities) at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse. Fellows are responsible for their own travel and health care costs. Fellows are expected to reside in Budapest during their fellowship year, participate in the intellectual life of the Institute and pursue their research agenda.
CEU IAS provides a stimulating environment in which the fellows can devote themselves to their research and share their work with peers through weekly seminars and other community programs. Fellows have access to all CEU facilities, including seminar and conference space, computer services, and library resources. They also benefit from CEU’s vibrant international atmosphere, its strong ties in Hungary, and its location in culturally rich Budapest. CEU IAS facilitates the fellows’ engagement with the CEU and the Hungarian scholarly community by encouraging collaborative projects, organizing joint public lectures, establishing student mentorship programs, and related activities.
Fellowships are highly competitive and fellows are chosen through a rigorous selection process. The Selection Committee will primarily consider the quality of the research proposal as well as the applicant’s proven track record or promise of scholarly productivity. We are looking for projects which are innovative and intellectually promising.
- Fellows must hold a Ph.D. or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application.
- Junior fellows must have a Ph.D. degree issued in 2006 or later (otherwise they should apply for senior fellowships.)
- Full time CEU employees and students are not eligible to apply for 6 years after the ending of their studies/contract (degrees must be received and contracts must have ended in 2007 or earlier.)
- Part time/temporary employees of CEU are not eligible for 3 years after their contract ended (their contract must have ended in 2010 or earlier.
- All nationalities are encouraged to apply and for this type of fellowship we have no thematic restrictions (other than expecting proposals in the social sciences and humanities only.)
- Recent (past 5 years) fellows of CEU IAS or Collegium Budapest are eligible to apply but will only be considered in exceptional cases.
Deadline for application: November 4, 2012
Please submit all materials electronically to: [email protected]
The application package should include:
- The Junior fellowship application form AVAILABLE HERE
- a full CV including the most important publications (max. 2,000 words)
- a description of your research project (max 1,000 words without references)
- an abstract of your research project (max. 150 words)
- 1 recommendation letter, sent directly from the recommender to the email address: [email protected]
Applicants with a PhD from 2005 or earlier are eligible for the Senior fellowship of 2.500 Euros. Find more information on the website HERE.
See the ORIGINAL WEBSITE for more information.