Deadline: January 31, 2013
Open to: Exceptional candidates with MA degree in art history, museum studies and related fields with a strong emphasis on art historical research and methodology
Scholarship: $25,000 plus selected benefits
The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) is one of Chicago’s major museum institutions and one of the nation’s largest facilities devoted to the art of our time, offering exhibitions, performances, and programs of the most thought-provoking art created since 1945.
- Considered one of the premiere curatorial training opportunities in the nation, the MCA’s Marjorie Susman Curatorial Fellowship is intended to offer an exceptional graduate-level candidate the opportunity to gain professional curatorial experience in a major museum setting. The Fellow is primarily responsible for exhibition- and/or collection-related research, with additional duties as appropriate to specific projects.
- The MCA considers exceptional candidates in art history, museum studies, and related fields with a strong emphasis on art historical research and methodology. Qualified applicants must possess an M.A. degree or be in their final year of graduate work. The MCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a 12-month commitment, the Fellow is exposed to all aspects of curatorial operations and participates in internal and external communications on a daily basis. With a start date of July 1, 2013, the full-time fellowship carries a stipend of $25,000 plus selected benefits.
There are no application forms. Please note that application materials, including writing samples and any supplementary materials, will not be returned to candidates. All application materials should be typed and include the following:
- Cover letter with name, home and school addresses, and telephone numbers of the applicant.
- A full resume of education and employment history.
- Two letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional settings.
- An essay describing the applicant’s interest in the internship program, museum work, and reasons for applying.
- Two writing samples.
- Application materials should be sent to:
Marjorie Susman Curatorial Fellowship
Museum of Contemporary Art
220 East Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60611
Please note: International candidates must be in possession of a valid US work visa for the entire fellowship period. The application deadline is January 31, 2013!
After reviewing all applications, a group of candidates are selected for either an in-person interview or telephone interview. Final notification to all applicants will be mailed by the end of April.
The MCA Chicago Curatorial Department reviews applications. Final selection of the Marjorie Susman Curatorial Fellow is determined in consultation with the Susman family and curatorial staff.