Deadline: 3 December 2012
Open to: women from the global south who have demonstrated leadership in a development sector for at least two years.
Residency: full costs of travel, tuition, room and board.
In 2011-2012, the International Centre for Women’s Leadership launched the Global Change Leaders program – a certificate course for emerging women leaders from the global south. The 2013 program will run for seven weeks from March 24, 2013 on the beautiful campus of St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada. It will conclude with a graduation ceremony on May 10th, 2013. Participants will also be matched to a mentor who will advise, guide and support them through a 6-month period including the program period, and be linked to a global network of other women leaders.
Scholarships are available to cover the cost of travel, tuition, room and board for successful candidates. There is no cost to apply.
Through campus-based education, field visits, mentorships and linkages to a global network of other women leaders, the program enables the women to strengthen their leadership capacities to contribute to change in their organizations and communities. Program participants engage in learning themes grounded in real world experiences. Topics covered include transformative leadership concepts, practical leadership skills, citizen-led and asset-based development, and oral and written communications. Through a shared learning environment with other emerging women leaders from around the world, participants are exposed to a range of experiences and the beginnings of a potentially lifelong network of support.
Class sessions typically run Monday to Friday 9 AM (900) to 5 PM (1700). However, there will be some special evening sessions, homework, as well as weekend trips and activities. They recommend that you assume that your time will be completely booked while in Canada. If you would like to visit friends or family or sightsee on your own outside of Antigonish, we suggest that you plan for time after the end of the program. The Coady International Institute will not be responsible for organizing any personal travel.
The overall Program Objective is to enable Global Change Leaders to take on more powerful and dynamic leadership roles in their organizations and communities. Specific outcomes for participants include:
- Practical understanding of leadership concepts and application within their own context
- Enriched knowledge and experience in essential leadership skills
- Expertise in organizational learning and change management
- Strengthened capacity to realize sustainable, citizen-led and asset-based development goals
- Effective and compelling oral and written communications, and presentation skills
- Ability to apply strategies and tools that underpin innovative social and economic initiatives
- Active participation in a global network of like-minded women leaders
Applicants to the Global Change Leaders program should meet the following requirements:
- From the global south
- A practitioner in civil society organizations including community based organizations and not for profits, or active in public or private institutions, donor/philanthropic agencies, social movements or in a social enterprise / business
- At least two years of demonstrated leadership in a social or economic development endeavour in sectors such as livelihoods or inclusive economic development, food security, environment, access to education and health care, governance, and the rights of girls and women
- University degree or combination of post-secondary education and experience
- Competence in English
Application deadline is December 3, 2012. The online application form is AVAILABLE HERE.
You have the option of saving a partially completed form with a login and password that you create, and returning to it later. Your login must be a valid email address, and your password must be at least six characters and contain a number and an upper case letter.
Please note that you will be required to upload a current resume and a personal statement as you complete your online application. You will not be able to submit your application without uploading your current resume, personal statement and reference form AVAILABLE HERE. You can also read more details about how to apply HERE.
Read more information on the original website AVAILABLE HERE.