Deadline: 19 December 2012
Open to: candidates holding (or close to completing) a master’s degree in Sociology, Psychology, Educational Science, Political Science, Economics, Demography, and Statistics.
Scholarship: remuneration based on Grade E 13 TV-L (50%) of the German Public Service Salary Scale, plus a basic monthly stipend of 1,365 Euro, plus family allowances and child-care expenses
The Bamberg Graduate School of Social Sciences (BAGSS) invites applications for up to 10 doctoral positions and 6 doctoral scholarships. These positions are available from April 1st 2013 for three years (subject to satisfactory progress reviews after 12 and 24 months).
BAGSS is funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) as part of the German Excellence Initiative from November 2012 until October 2017. Research at the Graduate School will be conducted in four broad, interdisciplinary fields:
- education, personal development and learning from early childhood to adulthood
- education and social inequality across the life course
- human capital, labour markets and demographic structures and their impact on social inequality in modern societies
- governance, institutional change and political behaviour.
Remuneration for the doctoral positions is based on Grade E 13 TV-L (50%) of the German Public Service Salary Scale. There is a teaching obligation of two hours per week for one semester.
Holders of the doctoral scholarships receive a basic monthly stipend of 1,365 Euro, plus family allowances and child-care expenses in accordance with DFG guidelines where applicable.
The Graduate School is committed to diversity, equal opportunity and the compatibility of family and career. It therefore explicitly encourages applications from women. As an international research institution, the School particularly welcomes applications from abroad. Applicants with disabilities possessing essentially equivalent qualifications will receive preferential consideration.
Applications are invited from highly qualified graduates from the fields of Sociology, Psychology, Educational Science, Political Science, Economics, Demography, and Statistics.
Qualified graduates of related subjects with a strong Social Science background are also encouraged to apply.
Candidates must hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in one of the aforementioned subjects or be very close to completion. Successful applicants will be required to take up their residence in Bamberg, a city noted for its very high quality of life.
Applicants must have an excellent command of English. If English is not your native tongue, you need to supply proof of proficiency.
The deadline for the submission of your application is Wednesday, 19 December, 2012.
In order to be considered, your application needs to include the following documents:
- A cover letter of not more than 1½ pages (Arial, size 11, 1.5 line spacing). Please use this letter also to briefly indicate which BAGSS Pillar(s) [READ MORE ABOU THE BAGSS PILLARS HERE] suit your research interest best and name at least one BAGSS faculty member who could serve as a supervisor for your project.
- Your CV (including full contact information).
- A one-page abstract of your dissertation exposé (Arial, size 11, 1.5 line spacing).
- A dissertation exposé of not more than fifteen pages (Arial, size 11, 1.5 line spacing). In this proposal you should define a clear research question, provide a concise review of the extant literature, show how your project is intended to go beyond the state-of-the-art and outline a research design and timetable.
- A scan of your academic degree certificate(s) and university grade transcripts. Please provide an English translation if these documents have not been issued in English or German.
- A concise statement on your knowledge of social science research methods. This short description (not more than a half page, Arial, size 11, 1.5 line spacing) can, for example, contain information on your methodological training or practical experience in applying methods.
- Two letters of recommendation (in English or German).
- Only for applicants funded by an external institution: evidence that funding has been granted.
For further information about the application process and the documents you will be expected to supply, please visit their admissions website HERE.
For further questions and inquiries, please contact the organizers at [email protected]
See the original call for applications HERE for more information.