Deadline: 15 January, 2013
Open to: applicants at the postdoctoral level
Scholarship: a monthly stipend of 2.500 € plus supplement depending on fellows personal situation
The Berlin-based Forum Transregionale Studien invites scholars to apply for ten postdoctoral fellowships for the research program Europe in the Middle East – The Middle East in Europe (EUME).
EUME seeks to rethink key concepts and premises that link and divide Europe and the Middle East. The program draws on the international expertise of scholars in and outside of Germany and is embedded in university and extra-university research institutions in Berlin. It supports historical-critical philology, rigorous engagement with the literatures of the Middle East and their histories, the social history of cities and the study of Middle Eastern political and philosophical thought (Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and secular) as central fields of research not only for area or cultural studies, but also for European intellectual history and other academic disciplines. The program explores modernity as a historical space and conceptual frame.
The program puts forward three programmatic ideas:
- Supporting research that demonstrates the rich and complex historical legacies and entanglements between Europe and the Middle East;
- Reexamining genealogical notions of mythical ‘beginnings’,’origins’, and ‘purity’ in relation to culture and society;
- Rethinking key concepts of a shared modernity in light of contemporary cultural, social, and political entanglements that supersede identity discourses as well as national, cultural or regional canons and epistemologies that were established in the nineteenth century.
As a rule, the fellowships start on 1 October 2013 and will end on 31 July 2014.
Applicants should be at the postdoctoral level and should have obtained their doctorate within the last seven years.
Postdoctoral fellows will receive a monthly stipend of 2.500 € plus supplement depending on their personal situation. Organisational support regarding visa, insurances, housing, etc. will be provided. Fellows are obliged to work in Berlin and to help shape the seminars and working discussions related to their research field.
How to apply?
An application should be made in explicit relation to one of the research fields and consist of
- a curriculum vitae,
- a project description (no longer than 5 pages), stating what the scholar will work on in Berlin if granted a fellowship
- a sample of scholarly work (maximum 20 pages from an article,
- conference paper, or dissertation chapter)
- a letter of recommendation by one university instructor (that can be sent by as a separate e-mail).
The application should be submitted by e-mail as four separate worddocuments or PDF files in English and should be received by 15 January 2013, sent in to: [email protected]
Europe in the Middle East – the Middle East in Europe (EUME) c/o Forum Transregionale Studien Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin
Attn: Georges Khalil
Wallotstrasse 19, 14193 Berlin
Fax+49 30 -89 00 12 00
For further information visit the official website