Deadline: 15 March 2013
Open to: youth leaders from Southeast Europe (Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Kosovo) and all Youth in Action Programme countries (see list HERE)
Venue: 24-26 April 2013 in Slovenia
The Youth in Action programme is a tool to enhance the social inclusion, active citizenship and employability and to contribute to social cohesion in general. Young Roma people often suffer from discrimination and lack of opportunities in these areas.
The main aim of this short study visit is to allow participants to visit Roma organisations and organisations working with Roma youth in Slovenia, to explore their good practices and approaches and reflect on those in relation to the participants’ home realities. It will last from 24 to 26 April 2013.
Accommodation, food and programme costs will be fully covered by the organisers. Travel costs to the activity and back will be covered by the National Agencies of the Youth in Action Programme or SALTO Ressource centre, so please contact your respective National Agency for more information on this (see the list HERE).
During the SSV, participants will learn from different organisations working with young Roma people in different parts of Slovenia; they will also be able to explore opportunities and challenges facing these young people in their local, national and international contexts.
Participants will have an opportunity to reflect on their own realities, network with potential project partners and focus on the importance of organisations working as mediators, in different contexts, between Roma and non-Roma. Participants will look at Youth in Action related opportunities and focus on what to bring home and ways of multiplying what has been learnt.
Objectives of the short study visit:
- to enable participants to explore Slovenian Roma youth organisations and organisations working with Roma through study visits in the field and by participating in/visiting actual activities
- to get inspired to carry out future youth projects in their organisations
- to share good practice examples of working with Roma youth and on Roma youth projects
- to provide participants with network opportunities to start building possible future partnerships amongst their organisations
- to gain a greater understanding of working in Roma organisations and with Roma youth in different local and national realities
- to reflect on the reality of Roma organisations and working with Roma Youth in Slovenia – including Roma Youth policies at national level
- to discuss the different realities of Roma youth in Roma communities, within Roma organisations and participation in the wider society
- to explore the importance of Roma (youth) organisations as mediators between Roma communities and wider society
- be a young youth leader active in a Roma youth organisation or organisation that works with Roma youth
- have had at least 2 years’ experience working with Roma youth (13-30 years old)
- be willing and able to share newly acquired knowledge in their organisations and home realities
- be over 18 and under 35
- be fluent in English (in exceptional cases participants can ask for a translator)
Note: in addition to the criteria, listed in this call, the organizers will also be seeking gender balance. This Study Visit is for 15 youth leaders from Southeast Europe (Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Kosovo) and all Youth in Action Programme countries (see list HERE).
Deadline for applications is by 15 March 2013 using the online application form AVAILABLE HERE. Participants will be selected on 25 March 2013.
The short study visit’s organizers are Zavod Movit (National Agency) with the support of the British Council (National Agency), SALTO Cultural Diversity RC (SALTO) and SALTO South East Europe RC (SALTO).