Deadline: 24 March 2013
Open to: youth workers, Trainers, Youth leaders, Activists, volunteers, professionals working with youth participation from Youth in Action Programme Countries (see list HERE)
Venue: 23-27 April 2013 in Vantaa, Finland
“Re-thinking Youth Participation: Breaking Patterns, Changing Practice” is a seminar to be held 23-27 April 2013 in Vantaa, Finland.
Youth participation is on everybody’s lips. But what do we mean by it? In people’s minds youth participation can be a fossilized term meaning only things that young people are not willing to do. Save yourself – break away from old misconceptions!
Whether you work for an NGO, a community or city, whether you are active in a youth initiative or youth democracy project, whether you volunteer in a youth group or are a youth worker, youth trainer, youth leader, youth activist — join this seminar to think again!
Together with you, they want to improve the variety, innovation, quality and sustainability of participation projects in and beyond the YOUTH IN ACTION Programme –
- through widening our overall understanding of youth participation and its diverse concepts, approaches, forms and formats,
- through looking and going beyond standard aims (such as influencing politics), standard formats (such as round tables), standard target groups (such as very motivated and active young people), standard themes (such as how can we can get young people to vote), standard approaches, standard networks, …..,
- through tackling common and uncommon obstacles met while implementing participation projects,
- through developing ideas for projects covering the entire range of possibilities within the YOUTH IN ACTION Programme.
The seminar will be facilitated by an experienced team of trainers using exciting non-formal participative methods. They are looking for people to join them who would like to re-think youth participation (within and beyond the YOUTH IN ACTION Programme) with them.
The Finnish National Agency of Youth in Action Programme will cover international participants’ costs considering travelling to Finland, accommodation and meals during the activity and the activity costs. The participants are entitled to acquire a travel insurance, which will cover unused travel tickets in the situation when tickets are not used.
Sending participants to the activity will not cost anything for the sending National Agencies, if the NAs will not cover the participants domestic travel costs. The Finnish NA will cover all the international travel costs of the participants. We ask interested sending National Agencies to open the call in their country in good time and make the selection by the time provided. The Finnish National Agency will make the final selection of participants according to the availability of places.
This Seminar is for 30 participants from Youth in Action Programme Countries (see list HERE) and recommended for youth workers, Trainers, Youth leaders, Activists, volunteers, professionals working with youth participation.
They expect participants to:
- be willing to re-think youth participation
- be able to actively communicate in English
- be able to attend the whole seminar
- be at least 18 years old
- be prepared to share your experiences with youth participation projects
- be willing to develop project ideas with new international partners
- come from a YOUTH IN ACTION Programme Country
Applications must be submitted by 24 March 2013 using the online application process AVAILABLE HERE. The date of selection is 3 April 2013.