Deadline: 31 March, 2013
Open to: candidates with a bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in economics, business administration, mathematics, statistics, physics, or engineering
Scholarship: between € 800 and € 1,300
The Berlin Doctoral Program in Economics and Management Science (BDPEMS) consists of renowned scholars of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Freie Universität Berlin, Technische Universität Berlin, European School of Management and Technology (ESMT), and Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
The program follows leading international standards with an emphasis on rigorous analytical methods and quantitative analysis preparing students for cutting-edge research in a broad range of fields. It provides core education in macroeconomics, microeconomics, management science, and econometrics.
BDPEMS offers scholarships of up to three years depending on academic excellence and study performance. For the intake 2013, about 15 scholarships are available.
Fields of specialization
- Interdependencies in the regulation of markets (RTG1659)
- Behavioral and Experimental Economics
- Econometrics and Statistics
- Quantitative Labor
- Public Economics
- Admission requires a bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in economics, business administration, mathematics, statistics, physics, or engineering.
- There are no fixed rules about who will be admitted but the admission is highly competitive.
- As a rule of thumb, successful applicants will score at or above the 90th percentile in the quantitative and analytical section of the GRE General Test and have performed exceptionally in their previous studies.
- Evidence of creativity and inclination towards research will be taken into consideration.
- All participating institutions are striving to attract female students and, thus, explicitly invite women to apply. With equal qualifications, female applicants will be preferred. Handicapped applicants with equal qualifications will also be preferred.
New students start the program in October 2013. About 15 scholarships of up to three years ranging between € 800 and € 1,300 are available. Child benefits may be granted in addition to the scholarships. Applicants with alternative sources of funding are welcome.
How to apply
Applicants to BDPEMS or one of its associated programs (RTG1659, IRTG1792) have to apply via the BDPEMS online application form.
During the online application you will be asked to provide the following:
- curriculum vitae,
- a motivation letter stating research interests and plans,
- information on all previous studies, i.e. transcripts,
- 2 academic references,
- GRE scores from the General Test (GMAT is accepted only for business candidates),
- TOEFL scores (institution code: 8167, department code: 84) or IELTS, except if your native language is English or if you earned a previous university degree in an English speaking country.
The deadline for applications is March 31, 2013.