Deadline: 30April 2013
Open to: Individuals who are 18 years of age or older as of the date of entry
Prize: US$2,500 will be awarded to the winning app in each of the four categories
Participants are invited to submit Global apps to empower women everywhere. The main aim is to discover and showcase innovative tablet applications that help young women and girls become leaders, resolve conflicts, be mentored, find work, become entrepreneurs and realize their full potential through education.
The Competition is open only to individuals who are 18 years of age or older as of the date of entry. The following are not eligible to enter or win the Competition:
- employees, officers, directors and contractors of the Sponsors, and any member of their immediate family (i.e., a spouse, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild of the entrant) or household of any of the foregoing individuals;
- any member of the immediate family (i.e., a spouse, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild of the entrant) or household of any judge.
Participation in this competition is free. No purchase or payment necessary to enter or win. A purchase or payment of any kind will not increase your chances of winning. By entering the Competition you agree that your participation will be governed by, and you shall abide by, all of the following terms and conditions.
Submissions may be submitted either by individuals or by groups of individuals (a “Team”). If a Submission will be submitted by a Team, the Team must consist of no more than four (4) individuals. Each Team must designate in the application a single member of the Team who will serve as the Team’s sole representative for communications and all other purposes in connection with the Competition (the “Team Leader”). All agreements, consents, representations and warranties made or given by a Team Leader herein or otherwise in connection with the Competition will be deemed by Sponsors as binding upon all members of the pertinent Team as if made by each such member.
All Submissions must comply with the following Content Restrictions:
- The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes the rights of another, including but not limited to privacy, publicity, copyright, trademark, patent, or intellectual property related rights;
- The Submission must not disparage Sponsors, any person or party affiliated with the promotion and administration of the Contest.
- The Submission must not contain footage, images, music or artwork not created by entrant.
- The Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene hateful, defamatory, slanderous or libelous.
- No Submission may contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Submissions must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where a Submission is created.
Each individual or Team that submits a Submission (each “Applicant”) must retain a copy of the Submission. Sponsors are not responsible for, and each Applicant specifically releases Sponsors from any claims or liability relating to, any loss or damage to the Applicant’s Submission. No entries will be returned.
Any application with the following features/functions will be disallowed:
- Any app that charges any kind of user fee.
- Software that changes the native user interface elements or behaviors of the operating system.
- Software that does not comply with the standard human interface guidelines.
- Software that is similar in look or function to current commercial products.
- Software that is or installs shared components such as kernel extensions, browser plug-ins, QuickTime components, etc.
- Software that provides content or services that expire.
- Beta, demo, trial, or test versions of software.
- Software that references trademarks unless the developer has explicit permission to use them.
More information about rules can be found here.
To entry the competition, visit the online application system and follow the entry instructions. The deadline for applications is 30. April 2013.
Applications must be approved by the Partners before becoming available on the Datawind tablet, BluWorld portal and elsewhere. The apps should be developed for the following technical specifications:
- Android 2.2 Froyo OS
- 366MHz Arm11 Processor
- All app submissions should be fully baked apps ready to be installed and used on a device
- The top 5 applications submitted will be featured on the Ubislate series of tablet devices and at the BluWorld portal, and promoted through a global alliance of technology firms, foundations and United Nations organizations.
- Cash prizes of US$2,500 will be awarded to the winning app in each of the four categories (Leadership/Mentorship; Conflict Resolution; Education/Out of the Box; Entrepreneurship/Jobs).
For more info, please visit the official website of the contest.