Deadline: 12th April 2013 (Friday)
Open to: former volunteers and young activists
Venue: May 12th-19th, 2013 in Florence, Italy
Phiren Amenca is a network of Roma and non-Roma volunteers and voluntary service organizations creating opportunities for non-formal education, dialogue and engagement, in order to challenge stereotypes and racism. Each spring and fall Phiren Amenca hosts in cooperation with member organizations, this time specifically with Roma Onlus and CSD Diaconia Valdese, a one week seminar for current volunteers and volunteer candidates from around Europe focusing on the exchange of experience and on Roma history, antigypsyism, discrimination, stigmatization, xenophobia, identity and culture; globalization and migration; as well as youth engagement and Roma initiatives in Europe.
“Demystifying Roma: Challenging Stereotypes and Narratives about Roma” Phiren Amenca Volunteer Seminar will be a key event in the network’s goals of creating opportunities for non-formal education, dialogue and engagement to challenge stereotypes and racism. The seminar will take place from May 12th until May 19th, 2013, in Florence, Italy. The seminar will also further enhance co-operation and learning among member organizations and external partners. Also the seminar will serve to further strengthen the network’s platform of volunteers and former volunteers, serving to strengthen their role as multipliers and promoters of voluntary service and engagement. The working language is English.
Roma and non-Roma volunteers, volunteer candidates, youth leaders
The course is designed for participants who are:
- active in Roma communities and experienced in working with Roma communities and/or Roma youth
- activists and youth leaders with a multiplying role, namely in a position to work in their organizations on access to human rights for Roma young people, as a response to situations of discrimination and antigipsyism
All participants must also:
- be able and committed to act as multipliers in youth work on the themes of antidiscrimination and promotion of human rights with Roma young people, for the benefit of Roma communities and Roma youth
- be motivated to develop their competences in anti-discrimination work, human rights education and youth work and to share their experiences with other participants
- be aged 18 – 30 (exceptions are possible)
- be committed to attend for the full duration of the course, including the project implementation phase
- be able to work in English, or check with the coordination office that translation can be provided through other participants or team members
- be resident in a member state of the European Cultural Convention of the Council of Europe. (learn more about the European Cultural Convention HERE and for any questions on this treaty consider checking HERE)
For this activity the participation fee is 50 Euro. For participants of Phiren Amenca member organizations the travel costs will be fully reimbursed. Non-member organizations have to cover their own international travel costs, in exceptional cases contact the coordination office for support. The participation fee will be deducted from the travel reimbursement of the participants, or shall be paid during the seminar.
The accommodation for the activity is provided in the Casa Cares and in Casa Santo Nome di Gesù and is covered by the organisers of the seminar. The reimbursements of travel expenses (based on economical prices, Apex, student price, special price) and visa will take on the spot during the week in Euro or by bank transfer after the activity. Participants should bring with them original invoices to prove the costs of travel (ticket and visa) as well the tickets.
To be reimbursed participants should take part at least 80% in the activity.
How to apply
The preparatory team of this activity will select 35 participants. According to the profile specified above, but also ensuring geographical and gender balance (as far as possible) in the overall group composition.
The deadline for the receipt of applications is set for 12th April 2013 (Friday). Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed. The APPLICATION FORM should be sent to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
If you have any question contact:
Lövölde tér 2, II/3 H-1071
E-mail: [email protected]