Deadline: 15 June, 2013
Open to: applicants between the ages of 18 and 35 years who are linked to an organization or a network, or those who are a social entrepreneur, blogger, intern or volunteer
Venue: Education First’s campus in Tarrytown, New York, USA from 24-31 August 2013
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is collaborating with Education First (EF) in the context of the first UNAOC-EF Summer School, which will take place in Tarrytown, NY, USA, from 24 to 31 of August 2013.
This UNAOC-EF Summer School will bring together 100 youth from all over the world for a week of discussions on pressing global challenges within the context of cultural and religious diversity. Several skills-building workshops will be offered with a view to strengthen participants’ ability on topics such as peace-building, human rights, advocacy, social entrepreneurship, etc.
The objectives of the UNAOC-EF Summer School are to:
- contribute to the empowerment of young people by enhancing their intercultural skills and competences;
- strengthen young people’s capacity to get involved in the preparation and implementation of cooperative action across borders;
- facilitate networking and exchanges between young people; and
- develop a network of alumni and make it an important platform for joint action to help address a global challenge.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- be between the ages of 18 and 35 years old on 24 August 2013 — the start of the UNAOC – EF Summer School.
- be linked to an organization or a network (e.g. youth council, youth NGO, not-profit organization, youth-led organization, community organization, faith-based organization, youth network or platform, college, university), or be a social entrepreneur, blogger, intern or volunteer.
- hold a passport valid until at least March 2014 (for a visa to be issued, a passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of entry into the country).
- possess upper-intermediate English proficiency.
Selected participants will be provided with flight, accommodation, meals and full event access. Selected participants of the UNAOC – EF Summer School 2013 will be provided with the following:
- international travel to and from the international airport closest to their residence (this economy class international ticket will follow the most direct route),
- visa and travel insurance,
- shared accommodation (double or triple rooms with participants of the same gender) while in Tarrytown,
- meals during the official portions of the Summer School,
- full event access during the entire week of the Summer School, and
- shuttles from and to the airport in New York City.
- the cost of US and transit visas (if applicable),
- the cost of vaccinations required to enter the US (if applicable), and
- the cost of medical insurance required to enter the US (if applicable).
The following costs are not covered for the participants:
- local transportation to and from the international airport closest to their residence,
- cost of meals and other incidental expenses while traveling from and to their residence to New York City,
- cost of meals and other incidental expenses incurred outside of the official portions of the Summer School, and
- any souvenirs, phone calls, equipment, etc. purchased for the Summer School or during the Summer School.
The last day to complete your application to attend the UNAOC – EF Summer School is 15 June 2013 at 23:59 New York City local time. Any application received after this deadline will not be accepted.
You must register and apply using the online tool HERE.
See the official website HERE.