Deadline: 29 June 2013
Open to: international visual artists with a completed course of study in art (M.F.A. or comparable) and three years of continuous artistic work
Scholarship: €1,400 per month
Artists’ residence Künstlerhaus Schloss Balmoral in Bad Ems was founded in 1995 and is a place of reflection, artistic production, discussion and meeting. It supports visual artists from all over the world by awarding a total of six artists-in-residence fellowships.
The Künstlerhaus is publicly presented through lectures, concerts and exhibitions. Works by the fellows are regularly shown in ‘Made in Balmoral’, the Künstlerhaus’s exhibition space in the Bad Ems city centre. Schloss Balmoral sees itself as an interface between artistic work and theoretical reflection and as a point of contact between former and present fellows. Balmoral intends to build a bridge between the artists’ present and their future.
For 2014, the residence fellowships will be awarded exclusively for painting. This offering, which is unique in Germany, is intended to enable deeper mutual creative cross-fertilisation among the resident artists. It will also lead to a more intensive specialist exchange of ideas with external artists, speakers, teachers, curators, etc. For 2014, the Künstlerhaus Schloss Balmoral is awarding two 3-month residential fellowships and four 9-month residential fellowships.
Benefits and requirements
Balmoral fellowships are residential fellowships; continuous presence is obligatory. The fellowships are endowed with €1,400 a month.
- Two fellowships are awarded for the period of three months. The residence for the 3-month fellowships begins in March 2014.
- Four fellowships are awarded for the period of nine months. For the 9-month fellowships the yearly term of residence begins in June.
All artists invited will have their registered secondary residence in Bad Ems for the time of their stay (compulsory registration). Artists must be free of all professional commitments for the period of their fellowships.
The fellowship holders are provided with a furnished living/bedroom with shower/WC and a studio including electricity, water and heating. Running costs (electricity, water and heating) will be paid by the Künstlerhaus. Each apartment is equipped with an individual telephone and internet access. If required, the room is also wired up for radio and television. The lounge, the dining room and the kitchen are for joint use.
The fellows may use free of charge the in-house wood workshop and a library containing approx. 5,500 books, mainly on modern and contemporary art, and the major art magazines.
Eligible to apply for a Balmoral fellowship are visual artists of any age from Germany and around the world. The focus of artistic work for the residential fellowships for 2014 must be on the medium of painting, whereby painting does not necessarily mean just ‘paint on canvas’. Formal and conceptual exploration of the limits and possibilities of the genre are also welcome.
The preconditions for applicants for the residential fellowships for visual artists are a completed course of study in art (M.F.A. or comparable) and three years of continuous artistic work after the conclusion of studies until the beginning of the fellowship. Applications are also possible for autodidacts distinguished by special artistic achievements, as documented by exhibitions and prizes.
Knowledge of German or English is expected.
The application deadline is 29 June 2013 (date of postmark). For all scholarships offered the following documents – no originals! – have to be submitted by mail in German or English:
- Application form: Download the 3-month fellowship application form HERE or the 9-month fellowship application form HERE
- CV including your artistic career history and previous grants
- Passport photo (for application form)
- Statement of reasons why you have chosen this scholarship and an illustration of your objectives during your intended residence (maximum one A4 page)
- At least 10, but not more than 20 photos or other images of your artistic works (no slides, no photo CDs, no MAC data CDs), max A4 size
- Explanations to the submitted works, altogether one A4 page maximum (optional)
- At most three exhibition catalogues (collective catalogues only if your works cannot be presented in a different way)
- At most three video cassettes (VHS) or DVDs, each recording no longer than 15 min.
The application materials should not exceed a total weight of 2 kg incl. packing. The Künstlerhaus Schloss Balmoral is not responsible for submitted application material. Applications by e-mail will not be accepted.
Send your application to:
Künstlerhaus Schloss Balmoral
56130 BAD EMS