Deadline: 21 June 2013
Open to: citizens 32 years and younger of member countries of the African Development Bank Group (see list HERE) with a Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Engineering, Social Sciences, International Development, Business Administration, Finance
Remuneration: internationally competitive tax-free salary and benefits
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) targets motivated and talented individuals under thirty-two (32) years of age, who are committed to African development, have demonstrated outstanding academic and professional achievements, and have demonstrated effective team work as well as leadership potential.
The African Development Bank (AfDB) hires approximately 20 young professionals each year. Young Professionals (YP) complete a mandatory minimum of two years and maximum of three years on rotational assignments in different organizational units and sectors within the Bank. YPs will undergo on-the-job training and mentoring that will equip them with skills, knowledge and experience to address developmental issues in Africa in particular and the developing world in general. Upon successful completion of the program, the YPs will be equipped to compete for any relevant job vacancies in the AfDB.
The AfDB’s Ten-Year Strategy 2013 – 2022 objectives are predicated on Inclusive Growth and Transition to Green Growth.
- The core priority areas are Infrastructure, Regional Integration, Private Sector, Governance, as well as Skills and Technology.
- The areas of special emphasis are Fragile States, Agriculture and Food Security, and Gender
The first rotational assignment will be a ‘stretch’ or ‘learning’ rotation, intended to provide exposure to the Bank’s various departmental and developmental programs and processes. Individual work programs will reflect on-the-job learning that is central to the YPP.
The second rotational assignment will take place in one’s area of expertise or organizational unit (according to availability and demand) in which the YP hopes to remain for the mid to long term if selected on a competitive basis. The work program will provide a suitable level of experience and responsibility required to compete for a higher level position.
The Bank seeks to maintain its position as an employer of choice. Consequently, it offers an internationally competitive tax-free salary and benefits.
Read more about the tasks and features of the program HERE.
Candidates will have to demonstrate the following to be considered:
- Citizen of a member country (regional or non-regional) of the AfDB SEE MEMBER COUNTRY LIST HERE.
- A maximum of 32 years of age by December 31st of the selection year.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or equivalent in Economics, Engineering, Social Sciences, International Development, Business Administration, Finance, or any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank, and with outstanding academic credentials. All applicants must have completed and obtained a Master’s or equivalent Degree Certificate by the time the vacancy announcement closes to be considered for the program.
- A minimum of three years relevant work experience with a Multi-disciplinary background.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills; dynamism; results-orientation; and problem-solving capability.
- Demonstrated passion for development issues and a commitment to Africa.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English or French with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft operating systems (PowerPoint, Excel, Visio).
The following will be considered an added advantage:
- Leadership potential; ability to work in various operational and corporate tasks; ability to leverage knowledge with others; and adaptability to working in a multicultural setting.
- Field experience on the continent and/or in other developing countries.
- Working knowledge of a third language that is relevant to the Bank’s operations.
- Skills in Information Communication and Technology (ICT); People management and Administration; Fiduciary Risks (i.e. Audit, Risk Management and Anti-Corruption); and Knowledge Management.
Member countries are 53 countries in Africa and 24 countries outside the continent (Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States of America.)
Applications will be accepted until midnight (Tunis time) 21 June 2013. All applications for positions at AfDB are to be submitted online. If you are a first-time user of the online registration system AVAILABLE HERE, please register, if not please log in.
Please attach the most current curriculum vitae (CV) with your current contact details along with a transcript from your Master’s degree(s). Please provide more than one e-mail address when possible and your complete telephone number including country code and area/city code. The YPP selection process is highly competitive. You should therefore provide as much information as possible on your online form.
Due to the high volume of responses normally received, only electronic confirmations of receipt will be issued. If you do not get a formal correspondence from the Bank within three months of the closing date, your application is not being considered for the 2013 program.
See the official website HERE for more information.