Deadline: July 31, 2013.
Open to: lecturers and researchers from the World Bank member countries working on their doctoral thesis, younger than 45 years old
Scholarship: the maximum amount of the grant is US$ 25,000
The Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program provides support to young researchers working in academic and research institutions from eligible countries preparing a doctoral thesis. Research grants cover residence costs for a 5 to 10 month period in a renowned university or research center. Fellows are expected to advance their research work mainly by using the facilities and resources provided by the host institution and by interacting with peers.
The purpose of the grant is to help fellows advance their doctoral research work through a residency period of five to ten months in a host institution in a country other than their home country or country of residence. During the research period at the host institution, the fellows are expected to have access to essential resources such as reference books and research publications, databases, and software; attend seminars and eventually courses; and to benefit by interacting with peers.
Applicants must meet the following general criteria to be eligible for a fellowship award:
- Be a national and resident of one of the World Bank member countries
- Candidates should be under 45 years of age.
- Candidates born before July 31, 1968 will not be considered;
- Must have completed and been awarded at least a Master’s degree, or equivalent, at the time of application;
- Be regularly registered in a development related doctoral program;
- Must have completed all coursework and exam requirements for their doctoral program;
- Be employed as full time lecturer or researcher by an academic or research institution in their home country;
- Be accepted as a visiting scholar by a renowned university located outside the country of origin or residence for a period of five to ten months.
The maximum amount of the grant is US$ 25,000. Candidates are requested to submit a budget for their fellowship covering the costs related to their research program: travel; insurance and living expenses; fees for courses and participation to seminars; and a books and software allowance. The grant amount to be awarded to each fellow will be decided by the Selection Committee.
How to apply
Your submitted application package must include the following required documents, with all relevant certificates translated into either English, or French, or Spanish:
- Application form in English, French or Spanish
- Copy of your highest degree and proof of any additional post-graduate diplomas. Please write out the complete title of your degree, along with the acronym.
- Proof of current enrollment in a doctoral program (eg. latest doctorate transcript).
- Academic progress report signed by your PhD thesis supervisor.
- Two letters of reference, one for your PhD thesis supervisor and one from the academic or research institution you are affiliated with in the country where you currently reside. See below reference letter guidelines.
- Completed letter of acceptance by your host institution for your proposed fellowship signed by your designated research advisor who will oversee your research at the host institution.
- Curriculum vitae of your designated research advisor at the host institution
Applications must be sent to:
Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program
The World Bank
1818 H St. NW
WashingtonDC, 20433, USA
For information requests only, the Program Office can be contacted via:
Email: [email protected]|
Fax: (202) 522-4036
The deadline for submission of applications is July 31, 2013.
For more details about the aplication process consider also the Application Guidelines