Deadline: 14 June, 2013
Open to: undergraduate and graduate level students of every nationality, ethnicity, religion and gender
Venue: Srebrenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina, July 1st to July 11th 2013 and July 12th to August 30th, 2013
About the Summer University
Summer University Srebrenica is a two-month program for undergraduate and postgraduate students as well as researchers to conduct research projects on topics related to Genocide, Transitional Justice, Post-Conflict Studies, and Human Rights. The program has two core components: academic immersion and a research fellowship. While all successful candidates will participate in first component of the program (July 1st to July 11th 2013), only a dozen will be invited to participate in second component of the program (July 12th to August 30th, 2013
The program integrates field research with an opportunity to participate in the annual Peace March from Nezuk to Potočari and to attend the Commemoration Ceremony in Potočari. Following this, researchers will remain in Srebrenica to conduct their projects and will be provided with working space and various resources in the facilities in Potočari. During this time, there will be guest speakers, discussion opportunities, and visits to locations relevant for research. Finally, researchers will present their projects and progress at the end of the program.
Through dialogue, research, and first-hand experience with the aftermath of Genocide and the obstacles in terms of Transitional Justice and Peace-building, the Summer University Srebrenica aims at understanding how such a terrible event was able to occur, discussing strategies for dealing with the post-conflict phase, and how to prevent another such atrocity from occurring in any part of the world.
- Participants who are planning to continue their research beyond July 11th 2013 must be MA and PhD candidates or researchers affiliated with an academic or research institution.
- Fluency in English is required.
- The program is open to participants of every nationality, ethnicity, religion and gender. There are no specific citizenship requirements
The Summer University Srebrenica accepts 40 researchers selected on the basis of their academic excellence.
- All participants receive free room and board, as well as travel expenses within Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Participants must cover their own travel expenses to Srebrenica.
How to apply
Applicants must download and complete the form in English.
Application form is available HERE
Electronic copy of the form should be emailed at email@example.com while accepted applicants ONLY should mail signed hard copy to Memorial center Potočari address:
Potočari bb, 75 430 Srebrenica, Bosna i Hercegovina
Tel: +387 61 819 210
Supporting Documentation: Applicants must provide the following documents in English.
- Curriculum Vitae in English
- One letter of recommendation in English (academic or professional reference) (Guidelines for letter of recommendation are available HERE)
- Copy of passport (page containing photo and personal data)
Incomplete applications will not be considered.Complete application must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 14th, 2013 – Application Deadline
June 15th, 2013 – Notification of acceptance
Accepted applicants must confirm their participation by June 21th, 2013
For more details visit the Official Website