Deadline: 16 September 2013
Open to: nationals of EU Member States and candidate countries (Macedonia, Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey) who applied for a full Master in conference interpreting
Scholarship: 2,400 € EU nationals, 1,600 € candidate country nationals
As a provider of an inter-institutional service, DG Interpretation’s mission is to ensure that a sufficient number of qualified conference interpreters are available to enable the Union institutions to function properly. The aim of the bursaries is to facilitate access for interpreting students to high-level courses. A wider range of applicants will allow universities to improve the quality of the students admitted and their rate of success in their university examinations and in the selection and recruitment tests and competitions of the European Union, thereby improving the interpreting resources available to the Union institutions.
Applicants must fulfil the following criteria:
- Be a national of the EU Member States or candidate countries (Macedonia, Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey);
- Be in possession of a university degree or equivalent qualification or be in the final year of a course leading to a university degree or equivalent qualification
- Have applied or intend to apply for a full Master/postgraduate course in conference interpreting offered for the year 2013/2014 by a recognised university or university-level institution.
- Have the following language combinations:
1. Excellent command of your active language, and a very good passive knowledge of
a) at least one of the languages Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish and
b) of one or more of the following languages: Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Estonian, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Romanian, Slovak, Slovene, Swedish or of the language of a candidate country (Icelandic, Macedonian, Montenegrin, Serbian and Turkish);
2. Excellent command of two languages (to mother tongue level) of which one is a language mentioned under 1.a above and the other one of the languages mentioned under 1.b;
3. Excellent command of your active language and a perfect understanding of at least two of the languages mentioned under 1.a.
The amount of the bursary will be:
- 2,400 € for those studying in a member state;
- 1,600 € for those studying in a candidate country / non Member State
The bursary will consist of one single payment. In granting study bursaries, preference will be given to applicants offering a language combination which is most suited to DG Interpretations current and foreseeable requirements. Selection will be based on the applicant’s language combination and on the assessment of the potential of the candidate.
Apply online here by completing application form until 16 September 2013 and upload the following documents:
- a copy of your passport or identity card;
- a detailed CV, listing all your qualifications;
- a short motivation letter (max. 800 characters), written in English, French or German;
- the university admission certificate;
- the form related to your bank details (together with a copy of a bank account statement);
- the legal entity paper
- a copy of your last university degree
- if necessary and if requested, a dossier describing your training institution and your course.
The originals of the university admission certificate, the bank details form and the legal entity paper must be sent by post by 30 September 2013 to the address:
DG Interpretation BURSARIES
B100 – 7/27
B – 1049 BRUSSELS
For more information please visit the official website.