Deadline: 1 August 2013
Open to: sex worker-led organisations and networks that are based in any country in the world; registered or unregistered; led by women, men and/or trans.
Grant: 4.000 EURO to 40.000 EURO for one year
Mama Cash’s Red Umbrella Fund is now open to accepting new proposals. The Fund exists to mobilise resources to help strengthen and sustain the movement in achieving human rights for sex workers.
It is the first global fund guided by and for sex workers. They believe that change will only be achieved through strong, collaborative movements of sex workers advocating for their rights, with the support of their allies. Sex workers themselves are the best positioned to know what is needed for them, and best placed to do something about it.
The Red Umbrella Fund provides flexible core funding to support the general coordination, functioning and strengthening of a group, organisation or network and its members. Core funding can be used to cover expenses such as registration costs, rent, salaries, advocacy, (peer led) capacity building, membership meetings, networking activities, etc. Their funding is flexible in that it may be used and adjusted largely according to self-identified needs of the grantee. Their grants are not meant solely for project-based activities.
The Red Umbrella Fund currently provides grants between 4.000 EURO to 40.000 EURO for one year only. Please note that the final grant amount awarded can differ from the initial grant request.
- 4.000 – 20.000 EURO: For relatively new groups, organisations and networks and/or any group, organisation or networks working at local level (city, district, province, etc.).
- 4.000 – 25.000 EURO: For groups, organisations and networks of more than 2 years old that are working at national level.
- 4.000 – 40.000 EURO: For groups, organisations and networks of more than 2 years old that are working at international (regional) level.
For the 2013 Call for Applications, the Red Umbrella Fund has a total budget available of 500.000 EURO with which it is expected to make about 25 grants in total.
The Red Umbrella Fund provides funding to sex worker-led organisations and networks that are:
- based in any country in the world;
- registered or unregistered;
- led by women, men and/or trans.
In 2013, the Red Umbrella Fund prioritizes groups, organisations and networks that:
- Most strongly contribute to the Red Umbrella Fund’s vision, mission, and strategic priorities.
- Have an inclusive approach towards more vulnerable or excluded groups within the sex workers’ movement (this may include for example migrant sex worker, trans sex workers, sex workers living with HIV, etc);
- Are committed to democratic principles and shared leadership;
- Have annual budgets below 200.000 euros
Completed applications (AVAILABLE HERE in English) must be received by email at [email protected] before 1 August 2013 (00:00 CEST). The application form is also available in French, Spanish and Russian HERE. Applicants will be informed about the final decision by 12 August 2013.
They require two references on your application form. Please inform your references that the organizers may contact them and make sure their contact details are complete and correct on the application form.
Put all relevant information in the application form. Do not send any additional attachments with your application form as they will not be included in the selection process.
If you have further questions about the Red Umbrella Fund, please contact them by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at +31 20 5158 700 (general Mama Cash phone number).