Deadline: 12 September 2013
Open to: professional or amateur artists from across the globe
Prize: up to 600,000 Japanese Yen, plus certificates and trophies
The Japan Media Arts Festival is a comprehensive festival of Media Arts that honors outstanding works in the divisions of Art, Entertainment, Animation and Manga, as well as providing a platform for appreciation of the works that have won awards.
For the 17th Festival in 2014, entries will be accepted from all around the world. Entries are sought in various disciplines of the Media Arts including interactive art, video, websites, games, animation, and comics, and from professional, amateur, independent and commercial sources.
- Art Division: Works of art created with new media and digital technologies. Interactive art, media installations, video works, graphic art (digital illustration, digital photography, computer graphics, etc), web-based works, media performances, etc.
- Entertainment Division: Works for entertainment created with digital technologies. Games (video games, online games, etc.), video works (music videos, advertising videos, special effects videos, etc.), gadgets, electronics, websites, application software, etc.
- Animation Division: Animated feature films, animated short films, animated series, etc.
- Manga Division: Comics published in book form, comics published in a magazine (including works still being serialized), comics published online (for computer or mobile), self-published comics, etc.
Works must be completed or released between Friday, September 21, 2012 and Thursday, September 12, 2013.
Works completed, changed, renewed, presented or released during the above period are eligible for entry. While the number of entries made is unlimited, the same work may not be entered in multiple divisions. The entrant must hold the copyright to the submitted work. If the work is submitted by a representative, permission from the copyright holder must be obtained.
For each division, one Grand Prize, four Excellence Awards, and three New Face Awards will be awarded on the basis of artistic quality and creativity. In addition, a Special Achievement Award will be awarded on the recommendation of the Jury to an individual or group who has made a special contribution to Media Arts in any of the four divisions.
- Grand Prize: Certificate, trophy and 600,000 Japanese Yen
- Excellence Award: Certificate, trophy and 300,000 Japanese Yen
- New Face Award: Certificate, trophy and 200,000 Japanese Yen
- Special Achievement Award: Certificate and trophy
Candidates must register online via the application form HERE and provide all the information requested by 12 September 2013. On successful registration, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address provided on the form. Follow the link in the e-mail to the Work Information form on the website. Enter details and image(s) of the work(s) as follows:
- Details of work: Artist’s name, nationality, date of birth, name of copyright holder, title of work, description of work.
- Image: One photographic image, JPG/PNG and CMYK format, minimum 1000 pixels on longer side. Note that you may submit entries for multiple works via the same account.
After this step, submission can be done either online or by post. Details concerning the application are on the How to Enter webpage.
Further information can be found at the Japan Media Arts Festival website.