Deadline: 15 October 2013 (US citizens residing in US) /3 December 2013 (non-UK citizens, US citizens residing out of US)
Open to: citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
Scholarship: the University and College fees, a maintenance allowance for a single student (£13,500 for 12 months), one economy single airfare
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are prestigious, highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
The programme was established in 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university. The programme aims to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
While at Cambridge, Scholars pursue full range of subjects available at the University and are spread through its departments and Colleges.
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge:
- the University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£13,500 for 12 months at the 2013-14 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis, more details HERE.
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- OR already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course
- OR already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship
- outstanding intellectual ability
- leadership potential
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- a good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying
Applicants apply for both a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and admission to their chosen postgraduate course at the University of Cambridge via the Graduate Admissions Office HERE. It is not possible to apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship without applying to the University of Cambridge in the first instance. You must apply for admission as a postgraduate student to the University of Cambridge and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship at the same time, using the one application pack.
If you are applying for admission to the MBA or Master of Finance programme you apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship via the Judge Business School HERE.
See more information about how to apply HERE.
There are two application rounds:
- Round 1: US citizens normally resident in the USA – deadline 15 October 2013
- Round 2: citizens of all countries other than the USA (except the United Kingdom) and US citizens normally resident outside the USA – deadline 3 December 2013
Please, visit the official website.