Deadline: 15 October 2013
Open to: anyone between the ages of 14-19 from all countries
Prize: opportunity to work with WHO, a bursary of $US 1000 to take photos
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
The WHO created a photo competition and want to see health and illness through the eyes of young people.
The photos should be on the following themes:
- Adolescents are healthy (engaging in healthy activities)
- Adolescents learn about health (health education)
- Adolescents use health services when needed
- It can be difficult to stay healthy (images about the environment and risk-behaviours)
- Adolescents are active in promoting health (advocating for health, participation)
The competition is free to enter and is open to anyone between the ages of 14-19 from all countries. If you are under 18, you must have your parent or legal guardian’s consent to submit your images to the competition.
The prize of the competition is the opportunity to work with WHO as one of 10 contributing photographers for the Health for the World’s Adolescents report. Each winner will be provided with a bursary of $US 1,000 to take photos. The photos will belong to the winners, although WHO will have the right to use them in the report and for future publications.
The deadline for entries is 15 October 2013. A panel will judge the photographs and winners will be contacted individually by 1 November 2013. Winners will be expected to provide their photographs by 1 December 2013.
Please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “photo” and include in the body of the email:
- Your contact information
- Your age, sex and country of residence
- Why you want to be involved
- Which one of the 5 themes your photographs will focus on if you are one of the winners
- Your experience in taking photographs
- A completed consent form available HERE
- Between 5-10 photos together with captions (please certify that you have taken these photos yourself)
- What camera you used to take the photos you send in, and the details of any edits you have made (permitted editing includes minor burning, dodging, cropping and/or colour corrections)
For more information please visit the official website.